Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please Help Me Identifying This Gold Coin  (Read 964 times)

Poseidoj

Please Help Me Identifying This Gold Coin
« on: June 15, 2013, 12:22:22 pm »
Hi, Could You Guys Please Help Me To Identify This Coin.

Weight About 10 Grams
Diameter About 4 Cm
And It's 24 Qarat Gold

I'd Like To Know The Name Of The Impra, The Age, And How Much It Worth.

Thanks Alot

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
Re: Please Help Me Identifying This Gold Coin
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:25:43 pm »
This is not a Roman coin the style is completely wrong as is the design and lettering.It looks like you have a horse and carriage with a spoked wheel which suggests it could be 19th century or earlier.
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Poseidoj

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 12:31:28 pm »
Thanks Adrian, But Do You Have Any Idea About The Letters

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 12:43:24 pm »
No idea it may not even be a coin at all but some jewelry piece as it does not look like anything I have ever seen or come across before but I am no expert

Poseidoj

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 01:50:52 pm »
Thanks Again Adrian, But I Don't Think So, Anybody Else Have Any Idea About It Or The Letters, More Than 40 Views And Only One Reply ??

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 02:01:07 pm »
At 4 centimeters its big. Weight ?

Poseidoj

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 02:09:24 pm »
I've Different Weights Starting From 10 Gramms To 36 Grams, But This One About 10 Grams

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 02:10:43 pm »
Its not a known gold coin of America or Britain .Do you have multiples of them as a standard gold coin would be consistent on weight

Poseidoj

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 08:15:13 pm »
Yes I Have Multiples, And Here Is Another Photo

Poseidoj

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 08:18:16 pm »
I Found This Article With These Pictures
''It is well known that Libya was once a colony of Rome. There are roman ruins and history built throughout the country ever since Emperor Marcus Aurelius first began to colonize there between 100 AD and 199 AD. One of Libya’s most appealing aspects was its gold. The romans made many gold objects from coins to sculptures as well statues and medallions. All of the gold in this particular collection is of the Augustonian and pre Augustonian era.

Many of the pieces feature Augustus Placing it at 27 BC to 14 AD, right about 2,000 years old. Collection includes small statue figures that either lay flat or stand, and a large amount of various coins. The coins vary in size and shape. There are over 7 different types and sizes, ranging from half an inch to an inch or more in diameter, weighing any where from 2-36 grams.''

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 08:55:33 pm »
No pictures showing

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 09:06:05 pm »
Looks like a fantasy piece(s) to me, probably 19th century AD or later based on the carriage on the reverse.  Nonsense legends.  Certainly not roman nor roman colonial.

Is there a citation for the article you mentioned pictured these?

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 09:19:02 pm »
That's exactly my thoughts also the style of the carriage on the coin if its a coin at all looks like a stage coach and not something that even comes close to any Roman design and as you mentioned the legend makes no sense either. Many of us on this site have looked at thousands of ancient coins over the years and myself included and this looks nothing like a real one.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 06:19:46 am »
Are you sure it's solid gold? It's certainly not Roman or Greek. I also think it's some modern fantasy in which case I'd be surprised it they were made of solid gold.
Andreas Reich

Manzikert

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 07:18:38 am »
Another thing suggesting fantasy is the portrait on the first one (images 111.jpg and 222.jpg) looking 18th century (think Louis XIV-XV) whilst on the second one (images 1.jpg and 2.jpg) though I think they are the same dies he looks almost like the Duke of Wellington with a curly beard!

The swag and star border is from late 19th century Turkish milled silver. As Adrian says, the carriage looks very 19th century.

Alan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity