Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Greece, a brief trip in pictures  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Ancient Greece, a brief trip in pictures
« on: October 25, 2012, 09:12:05 am »
I made a brief trip to Ancient Greece a few weeks back (I have use of a Tardis). I did not have much time, 3 or 4 days plus some working days, and the visit included the BCD library which I mentioned in my earlier post about two weeks back. Still, I did manage to take a few photos which I'll share here: They should all be fully described (including dates and locations of visit, e.g. I photographed the Triclinium of a Roman House in Thessalonica whilst on a visit there in 450AD; most of my Macedonian pictures were snapped between 350BC and 280BC). As, after editing, there remains several hundred photos, I can only illustrate a few examples in this posting.

Delphi, view from Mount Parnassus, and Artemision Zeus

Palace of Galerius in Thessalonica (this is my favourite pic!), and Pheidias' Athena

Hephaistaion, or Vulcan's temple in the Agora, and an Ottoman mixed hoard

Derveni Krater, the boys Kleovis and Biton, and a red-metal bell tower

Of course there are hundreds of ancient coins among the pictures. For the remainder, you will need to have a look at my photo galleries, where there are several pages of pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157631659126223/detail/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157631659126223/detail/?page=2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157631659126223/detail/?page=3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157631659126223/detail/?page=4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157631659126223/detail/?page=5

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157631659126223/detail/?page=6

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157631659126223/detail/?page=7

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157631659126223/detail/?page=8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157631659126223/detail/?page=9

What are your favourite photographs or eras?

Andrew

4to2CentBCphilia

Re: Ancient Greece, a brief trip in pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 10:29:57 am »
I have seen some impressive artifacts in a variety of museums. The vatican museum has fantastic items. BUT that Derveni Krater............eye popping.....extraordinary....remarkable.....hard to believe it exists.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 10:37:59 am »
I have seen some impressive artifacts in a variety of museums. The vatican museum has fantastic items. BUT that Derveni Krater............eye popping.....extraordinary....remarkable.....hard to believe it exists.

It is remarkable but still somehow the Derveni Krater seems a bit tacky in real life (that's what I thought when I looked at it) It seems to be an Ancient Greek copy of an over-embellished 19th century Victorian original.

Have a look at the other 200 photos I provided links to above (and then return to Forvm to chat) The half-dozen I illustrated as samples are not the best items, but more a random selection of the sort of pictures in my photoset. You may find others you like!

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 10:44:00 am »

It is remarkable but still somehow the Derveni Krater seems a bit tacky in real life (that's what I thought when I looked at it) It seems to be an Ancient Greek copy of an over-embellished 19th century Victorian original.

Please have a look at the other 200 photos I provided links to above. The half-dozen I illustrated as samples are not the best items, but more a random selection of the sort of pictures in my photoset. You may find others you like!

I find the craftsmanship and detail remarkable. It makes me wonder about the person who commissioned it, and the artisans who created it.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 11:10:02 am »
Great pics, Andrew.

I especially like the one of the "handful" of iron spits.  If you're interested, Richard Seaford gives an excellent analysis of iron spits in relation to the emergence of coinage in his book, Money and the Early Greek Mind, Cambridge: UP, 2004.

Nick

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:32:45 am »
 +++ Fantastic photos Andrew!
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 11:44:13 am »
Beautiful pics Andrew, thanks for sharing!
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 12:50:01 pm »
Great sites and pics, thanks for sharing.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 03:53:04 pm »
Great images and I love the appearance of your Mohawk haircut in the uppermost right photo.  ;D Looks like Zeus is about to give it a pat! Either that, or hurl a thunderbolt at it!  ;D

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 06:46:42 pm »
Great images and I love the appearance of your Mohawk haircut in the uppermost right photo.  ;D Looks like Zeus is about to give it a pat! Either that, or hurl a thunderbolt at it!  ;D

That Mohawk took a lot of hair gel, but it was worth it for the photo. If Zeus had patted my Mohawk he'd probably have scratched his bronze hand.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 06:51:04 pm »
Great pics, Andrew.

I especially like the one of the "handful" of iron spits.  If you're interested, Richard Seaford gives an excellent analysis of iron spits in relation to the emergence of coinage in his book, Money and the Early Greek Mind, Cambridge: UP, 2004.

Nick

The iron spits / drachma / handful concept takes a beating from the numbers. Six 2-metre-long iron bars just have to be worth a lot more than a drachm, even if the early drachm (if you consider it as half a stater) weighed  6 or 7 grams. The subject is discussed again in the new Oxford Handbook, but no solid answers are provided.

Juli

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 07:05:18 pm »
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see what coins you saw. They are quite amazing! I love the ancient Greek statues and art too.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 07:52:11 am »

That Mohawk took a lot of hair gel, but it was worth it for the photo. If Zeus had patted my Mohawk he'd probably have scratched his bronze hand.

Sadly I had to shave off the Mohawk hairstyle; I loved it on the photo for sharing on Forvm, but this picture is destined for a new web-page so distractions needed minimising.

I intend to grow it back at some stage, perhaps colour it red.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 04:56:21 pm »
A shame it had to go - but a vague shadow of its former self. I thought it quite becoming and a bit of a shake-up for the staid numismatic world!  I guess anything is possible beneath the hand of mighty Zeus. :)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 05:41:39 am »
A shame it had to go - but a vague shadow of its former self. I thought it quite becoming and a bit of a shake-up for the staid numismatic world!  I guess anything is possible beneath the hand of mighty Zeus. :)

Those who know where this Zeus lives will realise that the windows at the left of the room have also been blanked off in an effort to avoid distracting from Zeus. And I dimmed the light behind Zeus' head. My mouse will go to extraordinary lengths in the service of promoting ancient history. Here is a new composite photo where I can compare a really tiny (a 4 inch cheekguard) against a really massive sculpture, both from the 5th century BC; I'm busy prepping a web-page at the moment.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 10:49:53 am »
Finally they got rid of those dreadful windows; when I was there, both the visitors and light made photographing difficult. Thanks to photoshopping...

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity