Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Byzantine Coins Discussion Forum

Late Byzantine Denomination Questions.

(1/3) > >>

Simon:
Tornese, assiarion ,follaro, stamenon, are they concaved coins?

What is the aprox size for each?

Was the Assiaron just a name change for the tetarteron or was it a totally different coin?

Thanks.

Simon 8)

vercingetorix:
Stamenon nomisma is a skiphate coin and it has different sizes.Follaro is not skyphate, it's a western medieval copper coin cca 23mm. Never heard of assiaron.

Simon:
Thanks for the reply. The Assarion 1st appears in Sears Byzantine coins and their values under Andronicus II and Michael IX 1295 - 1320 . The description gives no size or additional information other than they were copper. I thought I had read somewhere that Andronicus II replaced the tetarteron with it but I cannot remember the reffrence. However, it is correct that the tetarteron no longer is minted after that point. His book mentions four AE coins  for that time period  Stamenon, Tornese, Follaro and assarion but again no additional information on size weight and even how they related to one and another, I recently purchased a coin that was listed as an assarion and it was very small ( 11/15mm) and in a triangle shape either slightly bent or a cup coin ( It is difficult to determine due to the size.), I found it very similar to another unattributed coinI have that is slighly heaverier and sized at 14/16mm it appears to be concaved.

So If I can figure out what denomination the 2nd coin is I will be closer to attributing it, right now since it has no legend it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. ???

Simon

Simon:
Additional note, Bendalls book The later Palaeologan coinage does not include assarions he keeps them as tetarterons, the small coin I own is definitly hard to compare to any tetarteron I own from an earlier period. It is under a gram in weight and as thin as a 1/2 tetarteron.

Simon:
Here is the assarion I purchased.

Rare AE assarion of Andronicus II & Michael IX (1295-1325 AD). Obv: Andronicus II standing, facing / Rev: Virgin seated, readable ANDPONI(KOC). Good VF, very rare this nice. Sear 2428 var. Rare

http://home.earthlink.net/~slindner/_uimages/assarion.JPG

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version