Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID for LRB with unknown reverse  (Read 559 times)

Offline igor_coins

• Legionary
ID for LRB with unknown reverse
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:17:09 am »
Greetings to all!

I need help with identification of the coin below from a bunch of uncleaneds.
On the obverse is a portrait of (probably) a ruler from the Constantinian dynasty, I can read "SPFAVG", so maybe this is Constans?

But the reverse is so worn, I can't even guess its type, even what side is up, so I attached two images of the reverse mirrored vertically.
Could somebody with more experience recognize it?

Igor.
---------
Igor K.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Re: ID for LRB with unknown reverse
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 09:52:18 am »
HI Igor,
Maybe something like this below from www.wildwinds.com.  Of course I am just taking a wild guess at the size, and the mint, but definitely Victory!
Constans AE17. Siscia mint. CONSTAN-S PF AVG, rosette-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / VICTOR-IA AVGG, Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm branch. Left field: Chi-Rho. Mintmark: star ASIS star. RIC VIII Siscia 177.
regards
Mark

Offline igor_coins

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 03:16:48 am »
Thank you, Mark, indeed it looks like Victory!

Although now, after looking through the coins with single Victory on reverse, I see that the obverse legend ending on "S PF AVG" belongs not only to Constans but also to Valens (with SECVRITAS-REIPVBLICAE reverse, as the example below from Wildwinds), and coins of the latter emperor are more abundant on Wildwinds actually.
Being rather inexperienced I'm not yet able to tell Constans from Valens by the portrait, I wonder if this is possible..?

P.S. The diameter of my coin is 15 mm.
With best regards,

Igor.
---------
Igor K.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 04:18:47 am »
Aually, that is a good call.  Looking closer it is more likely to be Valens as I believe this bust is Pearl diademed, and as far as I can see Constans didn't have any minted with Pearl diadem, so yes probably Valens.  Which mint it is is going to be difficult unless you can make out any letters in the exergue, or maybe a symbol from the left/right field?
regards
Mark
P.S. The best resource I know for identifying these types of coins can be found in the excel sheets devised by Dane.  You can find these under http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-ric.htm

All coins are guaranteed for eternity