Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A smaller Byzantine coin - a few questions  (Read 1243 times)

Offline aragon6

• Comitia Curiata
  • Praetorian
  • Violent times..yet the beauty they created is here
A smaller Byzantine coin - a few questions
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:08:27 am »
Not the best looking scan but the coin isnt either.  But enough detail to perhaps point me in the right direction as I have no experience with Byantine? 
Obverse - facing front
Reverse - AVG can be seen down the right side of the coin and it looks like emperor dragging a captive?
The flan is more oval and is 15mm at its width and 12mm at its height.  No idea on weight but seems to be the same for most AE's that size.

Offline GaiusCaesar

• Praetorian
Re: A smaller Byantine coin
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 02:07:09 pm »
It appears to be a type by Honorius.  Perhaps S4253 which can be seen on Wildwinds.

http://wildwinds.com/coins/sear/s4253.html#s4244v

Offline aragon6

• Comitia Curiata
  • Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 03:52:51 pm »
Thank you very much!   ;D

Offline aragon6

• Comitia Curiata
  • Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:46:46 pm »
Well I did find it in Honorius with help from GaiusCeasar.  It is:

HONORIUS . RIC.89\(R2 - Copper NUMMUS (PB. Æ 3) (397-402).  I tried to look up the RIC number to get a better desription but could not find it.  But if someone knows please let me know.

I am just going to keep this one as it is kind of neat and in not bad condition for a coin from that era.

Carl

Offline aragon6

• Comitia Curiata
  • Praetorian
Re: A smaller Byzantine coin- a new question
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 01:19:20 pm »
12 - Theodosius II, 402-450 A.D.
Æ 3, 402-3 A.D.
Mint of Constantinople
16mm, 2.16gm, axis: 12:00
Obv: DN THEODOSIVS PF AVG. Helmeted cuirassed bust facing; spear over shoulder.
Rx: CONCORDIA AVGGG. Constantinople seated, head right, holding scepter & Victory, foot on prow in ex: CONSA.
RIC X 89, LRBC 2212, SR 4296, VM 29.

Ok, I am getting confused.  Is it Honorius? or Theodosius II?.  The years seem to match up and while there is very little inscriptions, except for AVGG on the reverse, left they seem the same.  The scan is as good as I could get it but it is better in hand.   I am not even sure if this is the right place for id for this coin.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline Warren

• Praetorian
Re: A smaller Byzantine coin - a few questions
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:40:59 pm »
This type was issued in the names of Arcadius, Honorius, and Theodosius II. There is almost nothing to tell them apart, certainly not the "portrait", but for the obverse legend. You can find it on my late Roman site:
http://esty.ancients.info/ricix/
under type 47. Most authors would call it "late Roman" because it was struck long before the copper reform (498 AD) of Anastasius which is usually taken as the beginning of Byzantine coinage.
   --  Warren 

Offline aragon6

• Comitia Curiata
  • Praetorian
Re: A smaller Byzantine coin - a few questions
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 08:54:18 pm »
Thanks a lot Warren!  I will check out the site ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity