Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Valens siliqua unlisted?  (Read 2635 times)

corvus

Valens siliqua unlisted?
« on: August 27, 2003, 04:35:03 am »
Planing to purchase, have anyone seen kind of siliqua?
Found also (like seller) that it is similar to RIC IX:39a (R3). But this coin having(star/C/pellet/P or B/delta); so might be unique?
And Constantinopolis struck?

fiat_lex

Re:Valens siliqua unlisted?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 09:58:54 am »
is it possible what looks like the P is a blundered (large) pellet ??

It doesn't look like a deliberately fashioned P to me.  Couldn't a very small die break running outward from the pellet produce this effect?

corvus

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 10:02:34 am »
all three are similar (and I have found also almost similar ones), but all missing this bloody star :)

from last one I'm not pretty sure can we see  * somewhere?

I'm pretty sure in new RIC we might see similar to my future coming property, but so far must keep looking ....

germanicus

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 10:02:41 am »
sorry , i have a habit of posting work in progress results-

found your reverse type , and wildwinds has it as "UNLISTED RIC"  * C . D (dot not p - delta)

[BROKEN PHOTO LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

READ THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION : [DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

if anybody could verify this for corvvs, the writers quotes RIC IX page 212-213 -not listed.  

corvus

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 10:15:22 am »
can two coins be identical? No I don't think so,  but since they do (look at details!!) and last one have price 156 USD - I think I have same coin at my  reach?
Conclusion: is  this is same coin or two fakes?

germanicus

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 10:19:19 am »
just because its not listed in ric or rsc , does not mean your coin type/variation does not exist

i would say your coin looks perfectly authentic and ancient

i know little of siliqua anyway, but the do tend to sell well, who knows in the current market you may get more than $150 for it

i must admit the individual marks would suggest it is one and the same coin, anybody elses opinion ? the same (damaged ?) die with consequitive striking could
theoretically produce indentical marks/indents etc - but the flan strike/stress would vary ???

ANYBODY ELSE ??

:)
obv for checking

[BROKEN PHOTO LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

corvus

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 10:23:21 am »
- great research GermanicvsCaesar! will write to present owner to trace path of this coin, but seems coins ways are unforeseen....

Again many thanks...

corvus

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 10:26:09 am »
jep - it is same, as even technical scratch (to check is this fully silver?) on cheek is identical

Offline Alex

• Augustus
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 10:51:56 am »
Same coin, with the small note that if you compare the scratches, you will understand that the first pic was modified in soemthing like photoshop to make the scratch less visible, much more less visible !  That is why it is for sale again, but this seller is honest.....

corvus

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 03:39:07 am »
it is now confirmed it is indeed a pellet and not a P so the mintmark is star/C/pellet/delta, again, similar to RIC 39 but 39 only has a B or gamma officina

so, it is unique until new issue of RIC or will meet kind in internet :)

Offline Siliquae

• Legionary
    • Ma collection de siliques
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 05:25:19 pm »
Quote from: corvus on August 28, 2003, 03:39:07 am
it is now confirmed it is indeed a pellet and not a P so the mintmark is star/C/pellet/delta, again, similar to RIC 39 but 39 only has a B or gamma officina

so, it is unique until new issue of RIC or will meet kind in internet :)

It's *C•Γ  RIC 13j unlisted without •  (VOT/•/V)

You have a similar one on the web site of acsearch....  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity