Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead Coin or Seal?  (Read 707 times)

ed3719

Lead Coin or Seal?
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:01:26 am »
Greetings Everyone,

I recently came into possession of a peculiar lead coin or seal in a collection of provincials.  On the obverse(?) is a bust facing left surrounded by either dots, stars, or crude letters.  The reverse, however, reminds me of more modern coins.  There is a crest with a lion and bull on each side and another lion atop a crown.  Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Edward

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: Lead Coin or Seal?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 11:05:47 am »
Hi Edward,

The reverse appears to be a British Army General Services Button. I have attached a (regretfully small) picture of such a button below. I don't know about the obverse, but it would seem your item is fairly modern.

Alex.

ed3719

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 12:26:43 pm »
Thank you Alex!

I had a suspicion that it was relatively modern, and the button looks dead-on.  The obverse seems strange however.  I'm also puzzled by the absence of any hook or ring for the button to attach to fabric.  I've had a few 19th century British service buttons and they all had the name of the factory/company that produced them.  Perhaps it is an Arab copy?  It's all a mystery to me.

Best,
Edward

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:48:45 pm »
I'm also puzzled by the absence of any hook or ring for the button to attach to fabric.  I've had a few 19th century British service buttons and they all had the name of the factory/company that produced them.

I don't think you have the actual button, I think the button was probably just used to make one side of the mould your item is cast from.

Regards,

Alex.

ed3719

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:03:05 pm »
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply.  The process you suggest seems plausible.  Now, the only question to ask is "why?"  Is it a medal, a token, a password token for some unknown sect of cultists or British gentleman's club, used for skipping across water, etc.?

Best,
Edward

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 05:34:07 pm »

Maybe it could be a little piece of ‘trench art?’
  A little trinket / memento – product of trench or camp boredom?

Surely it must be datable by the button-design?
  Alex has said – “..fairly modern:” and Edward mentions “..19th century British service buttons.”
  Any idea for dating of this button-design?

Best regards,
   Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »
Surely it must be datable by the button-design?
  Alex has said – “..fairly modern:” and Edward mentions “..19th century British service buttons.”
  Any idea for dating of this button-design?

Judging by the size and shape of the device being held by the lion and unicorn, the button would date to the time of World War I or II. Sorry, I can't be any more precise than that.

Alex.

ed3719

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 07:34:02 pm »
Hi Tia and Alex,

Thanks for your replies.  The earliest the design could be is late Victorian, but because the piece was found in Lebanon I am thinking that it belongs to WWI era.  Here is one central problem: the buttons were made by pressing two flans together and so a seam can be easily seen between the two pieces.  And again, no hint of a connecting agent.  I like the idea of trench art, kind of like a hobo nickle, but the artist(s) on one side show nice talent, and on the other very crude.  Maybe the obverse was made by a collector of ancient coins, since it looks like a bearded bust.  It might also be a bust of one of the sheykhs, but that is just speculation.  I'm sure there is some interesting story connected to it.

Best,
Edward

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:07:03 pm »

Thanks Alex and Edward.
  It’s very interesting.  Too bad the little rascal can’t speak!
  It is surely a bust in crude style.  I have some impression also of letters at the very bottom(?), but can’t make anything out of them if they are.

As Alex has posited – a “.. button was probably just used to make one side of the mould your item is cast from,” if the other was done ‘free-style’ by hand – then I guess the discrepancy in artistic styles/skill shouldn’t seem so peculiar.

Have you tried shaking it under a bright light and demanding an answer?
  ( See how I am?  When the scholarly fails, think like a Centurion ).

It is a curious little thing, and I’ll wager you’re dead-right – there is some wonderfully interesting little story behind it…

Best regards,
   Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity