Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Parthian? AE9/10 with caduceus  (Read 871 times)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Parthian? AE9/10 with caduceus
« on: June 22, 2007, 03:04:17 pm »
Hi all!
This coin has a Parthian looking dude on the obverse and a caduceus on the reverse.
I've had it for a while and never found a match.

9.5mm, 1.3g

Thanks!

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Parthian? AE9/10 with caduceus
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 04:36:51 pm »
 ???
Andreas Reich

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 12:05:18 pm »
I am fairly sure it is a Parthian AE, because of the style of the obverse bust with a square beard.  But at the same time I don't think it is a caduceus on the reverse.  Instead I think it is a monogram.  I am on vacation right now (and for the next month or so) and don't have my references with me.  Have you tried looking up the bust type on Parthia.com?

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 12:13:11 pm »
No, but I'll try, thanks Howard!
Andreas Reich

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 05:25:47 pm »
Gardner, who is out of date and completely unreliable on attributions, has an AE6 ( I'm not sure he's metric, so beware) of 'Vologases II' with a pointed beard and a winged caduceus in a dotted square on the reverse. The type's not shown on Parthia.com as far as I can see at a quick look, but the attribution may translate as Vologases I. You're coin diesn't look like this one, and I'm not sure it's a caduceus either. If it is, that would suggest Roman influence, so possibly Armenia? I've no idea about their coinage, but they had Arsacids as kings, and there's lots of Roman influence there, so it could be.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 10:49:55 am »
Hi Robert,

No it is not the coin you mentioned.  There is no dotted square on the reverse of this coin.  I am not at home so I can't look it up in Sellwood, so I really don't know the ruler.

Also the Parthians were greatly influenced by the Greeks, much more so then the Romans, since they took over the much of the eastern Seluecid empire.

Howard Cole

All coins are guaranteed for eternity