Numismatic and History Discussions > History and Archeology

Ancient Romans preferred fast food?

(1/2) > >>

Numerianus:
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/06/18/pompeiifood_arc.html?category=archaeology&guid=20070618153030&dcitc=w19-502-ak-0000

GMoneti:
Nice barbeque, though I think it is something more like a brazier, hence the elaborate decoration.   

Here is a picture of a "fast food" shop in Pompeii.  The holes on the counter supposedly contained pots with food and drinks.  I bet the food contained way less calories than today's fast food places.  I would assume (out of the blue) that the average Roman's daily calorie intake was around 1000.  This excludes those Romans who had feasting as their career of course.

slokind:
Remember that at-home cooking for the working classes was as limited as a hot plate in a dorm room, and less convenient or safe.  This was true in Mediterranean villages until very recently, too.  Pat L.

GMoneti:
I've read that most people living in the insulae (especially on the upper floors) did not cook in their homes due to fire hazard.  I am not sure if it was forbidden by law, but some did and fires started. 

El Reye:
Fast Food I was thinking gazells and antelopes.  OOPS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version