Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Provincial Coins Discussion Forum

Beautiful, simply beautiful

(1/2) > >>

Automan:
http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/auction/75880565?aucview=0x30

Just look at the snake's face, and the serpent on the reverse ain't too bad either... ;D

Auto

LordBest:
For a second i thought that was a strange portrait of Otacilia Severa. ::) Nice coin. Nice reverse in particular.
                                     LordBest. 8)

wolfgang336:
wow, he's conservative with grading. I'd give that an EF, not VF.

Evan

Mayadigger:
Wow and then some!

Is Serapis crowned with a modius? Automan, can you tell us more about this coin and the significance of the snake on the reverse?

K

Automan:
The serpent is a common theme on coins of the region. I have a few myself. I haven't really looked into the matter but the snake was an important religious symbol in antiquity. It must have had some special significance in the region of Thrace and Moesian Inferior, though, considering the vast number os snake-coins available. Interestingly, there are different types of "snakes", some of which aren't snakes at all, but rather mythological craetures. E.g., I have on coin that seems to depict a serpent, but it actually has a fish tail and a lion's head, and is commonly known as Chnuphis.

Auto

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version