Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins Discussion Forum

Medieval Armenian Baronial Coins

(1/2) > >>

pogh_poor:
Hello all,

Now that the busy summer is officially over, I am getting back to my coins.  I attended a recent local coin show and was offered an Ae  from the Baronial period of Armenia.  It was ex Slocum Collection.  I have seen several later trams/drams and kardez offered from this collection.  Does anyone know about the history of the collection.  Levon?

I hope to be back on the boards with high frequency. 

pogh_poor

lv88:
Hello, and welcome back!

Well, the Slocum collection is briefly mentioned in Coinage of Cilician Armenia; Bedoukian refers to a baronial copper of Baron Toros in the corpus from the collection of John Slocum. I assume this may be the one. His collection is not one of the greatest, nor insignificant.

Baronials in themselves, are not extremely rare, and I look down upon them. They are for the most part undesirable and too much of a strain on my budget. I have recently seen 3 baronials come by me:

2 Roupen I AE 200-250
1 Levon II AE 280(In a lot of 18 unidentified cilician armenian coppers)

I did not purchase the Roupens because they werent appealing and too much. The Levon II I hesitated on, and next I saw it, it was sold. But then again, I think it is too expensive.

Tell me more about this baronial of yours.

Best,
Levon

pogh_poor:
I was offered what must have been the baronial copper mentioned by Bedoukian for around $330, but I let it pass as it was not an attractive coin for the price (Given my small budget). 

I have decided to only purchase exceptional Cilician Armenian coins until I get the 40 plus (21 in a lot from Turkey)  uncatalogued incorporated into my collection.  I have been sidetracked by some nice early Greek I have acquired. 

Levon, what have you added to your collection lately?

lv88:
Could you please provide me contact info for this seller(lease send me a PM I am interested in the  baronial copper coin.)

Well, check out my gallery to see some recent aquisitions:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=11106

Some of the coins I  I have gotten are:

Levon I Half Double Dram
Hetoum I Bilingual(You saw this)
Smbat Dram
Levon V Billon/Pogh

(It was quite a spending spree for me this summer)

I have also passed up numerous coins, ranging from baronial coppers, Hetoum II billons, etc ...

I have also sent payment for two takvorins of Levon the Usurper, and three unidentified coppers. I have not gotten the coins, so, waiting for them.

Regards,
Levon

P.S. What have you gotten? :)

Armand304:
Did my eyes deceive me or did i read it right?...."declined a Baronial coin because it was unappealing"!!??....what a pity.... i sure hope i am wrong and there will be lots and lots of these scarce coins surfacing.....but until that happens, i consider it opportunity lost to own these most desirable coins, regardless of their "appeal"...  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version