Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage

Prefered Storage Method

<< < (6/18) > >>

Paul D3:
I would be careful with paper envelopes. Another hobby of mine is telescope optics-I grind mirrors and lenses. Paper is used to polish lenses in les expensive commercial work. In short, paper polishes hard surfaces like glass and metal over time. This is the equivalent of putting wear on high spots

ecoli:
Well, truth to be told, as long as the coin is able to slide around against something, it will leave wear on high points sooner or later.  In modern MS-65 world, that would be horrible for coin value; so the rise of slabs....

In ancients, not as sensitive so valvet trays are tolerated :)

Enodia:
i keep each of my coins in an inert polybag which is then slid into an inert flip. no friction, extra protection, and easily removable. a two-sided tag on the other side of the flip and i'm good.

i have had many of my coins stored like this for 20 years with no significant sign of change.

~ Peter

mihali84:
I keep all my coins in "non-plasticized flips" stored inside a box i had made for me a few months ago.  I attached a pic of it, the main box is Brazilian cherry with spalted Birch in the lid, and Oak slip feathers. The top tray is made of Birds-eye Maple and has ten divided sections.  The box measures 19"x10"x10" and is perfect because i keep larger items beneath the top tray where i keep all my coins in their flips.  I seem to be filling it quicker than i first thought and might have to put some of my more expensive coins in a safety deposit box now to make room.

Aarmale:
I use simple plastic sheets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version