Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage

Prefered Storage Method

<< < (4/18) > >>

Istinpolin:
Dear Friends

I hate slabbed coins. As soon as I get a slabbed coin, I break it and liberate it from its prison. I dont know, but slabbing coins seems to be pretty popular in the USA, as I see many such coins for offer. It may have its benefits, but I have to be holding the coin in my hands.

I also do not like stapled cardboard flips. I usually destroy them immediately and get the coins out there as well. I cant have that.

I use flips. On every flip (bottom right corner) there is a white sticker on which I my personalised number system. For example GRE0001, or OTT0928. Then I have a list that I update comstantly that explains these numbers with reference and that old chestnut. A full ID. As far as I can get. Each dynasty is organised in a unique fashion. Roman coins are in chronological order, Umayyad coins are ordered according to Jund, Ottoman coins are ordered according to the mint city and so on.

Sounds complicated, but if I need a coin, then I can snap it out easily.

I then use shoe boxes that I devided into sections for empires and order the coins by numbers ie GRE0001, GRE0002 etc.

Shoe boxes are pretty lame and the section deviders are not stable, so I hope to be ordering this one https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/indexfrm.asp?vpar=611&pos=0
soon. I hope it can be shipped to the UK. Such things here are so expensive. This is at a bargain price for me.

I also use a little hand luggage type with velvet trays for my gold coins, again with the same label system, but instead of stickers I use a round card that I write on and put the coin on that.

For proof coins (I dont have many) I use these round plastic holders that you can open and close. Obviously I do not handle them, but I have to have the coins in my hands. Thats the way I enjoy my collection.

Best wishes,
Burak

DruMAX:
A the moment I keep them on velvet under glass but some are hard to see...I am always open to better ways :)

I dont like them hidden away, slabbed, etc...

Ilpo L:
Hello,

I have just started this "hobby". It took some months to solve out how to store my coins. The requirements were that they are easy to look, take into my hand and present to my friends. Of course it also has to be a safe method.

This is my solution and I am quite happy with it. It also looks elegant.

Regards
Ilpo

bruce61813:
All woods give off vapors of some type, it cannot be stopped, as they are organic. The use of the new water based polyurethanes seems to be the best, and the matte types are virtually invisible after it has dried. Mahogany is very stable, it has a very low shrinkage or expansion rate, so it generally doesn't warp.  Making the drawers is not easy and very time consuming, the basic cabinet is almost easier, and to make then look decent requires a couple days worth of work , if you have all the right tools, and those are not cheap.
  I like the air-tite containers, as the coins are accessible, but are protected from sliding around loose in the trays.

Bruce

Enodia:
i too like to have my coins accesible, and therefore i hate 'slabs'.

i got a good deal on a coin cabinet some years ago, with velvet-lined drawers. but the fact is it's not very convenient in the space i have now, and i don't like the way the coins can move around in their little compartments.

i use flips, but i put the coin in a coin grade poly bag first, which greatly reduces wear from friction. a small slip of index card in the back gives me room for all the information i need, and my catalog lets me expound if necessary.
these are then stored in velvet-lined wooden boxes of my own construction, devided into 2 1/4" compartments.

i am a little concerned about outgassing, but i have seen no ill effects from this in all the time they have been stored this way (about 20 years or so). still, i'm considering re-doing them soon using the same design but with a more inert material.

as temporary caretaker for these beautiful objects i consider it my solemn duty to pass them on as i found them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version