Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

Greek Denominations: Confused???

(1/3) > >>

mister.Saigon:
Being a new collector of Ancient Greek Coins, I sometimes get confused about their denominations.
For sure… when I sometimes can see (on the internet, in books, in fairs) how one kind of coin is being given two kinds of names.

Is there some list, some overview, some compendium available (very clear and simple) that can make me more wise about placing Ancient Greek Coins?
The report in “Greek Coins & their Values” won’t do!

Thank you
Gi.

Rupert:
Difficult.

One thing we can say is the basic Greek silver coin is the drachma.
Usually (but not everywhere) it was divided into six oboloi (singular obolos). In most areas there were large-denomination multiples of the drachma, often called Stater.

So far, so good. What makes it difficult are the several different (very different) standards. A drachma was about 6 grams of silver in Aegina or Thessaly, 4,3 grams in Athens but only 2,7 grams in Corinth. A stater was a tetradrachm (4-drachma piece) in Macedonia but a 3-drachma piece in Corinth and a didrachm (2-dr. piece) in Aegina and Larisa (Thessaly), yet the two dr. of Aegina was 12 grams and the 3 dr. of Corinth only 8 grams. So, in order to attribute a face value to a coin, you need to know the weight and the standard to which it was struck.

Of course, a triobol can also be called a hemidrachm, and a didrachm sometimes a stater, according to the monetary standard in use. I have no very good books about Greek coin policy, maybe some better informed Forum member can give you hints.

Even far more complicated are the values of the bronze coins. Very few bear marks of value, and often we can only call them small, middle or large bronzes.

However, don't let it spoil your hobby!

Rupert

i-xan:
Hello everybody

Could you help me with names of SILVER FRACTIONS of drachm?
Were there any denominations except hemidrachm?
Have you ever heard about HEMITETARTEMORION?

Thank you!

Rupert:
Drachma = 6 obols
Pentobol (rare) = 5 obols
Tetrobol = 4 obols
Triobol or Hemidrachm = 3 obols
Diobol = 2 obols
Trihemiobol = 3/2 = 1 1/2 obols
Obolos
Hemiobol = 1/2 Obol
Tetartemorion (from tetarton meros, fourth part) = 1/4 obol
Tritartemorion = 3 Tetartemoria = 3/4 obol
Hemitetartemorion = 1/8 obol (about .1 g of silver!)
Trihemitetartemorion = 3/8 obol.

Did I forget any??

i-xan:
Thank you so much!

It's really great when such a knowledgeable person helps you

A couple of questions more:

Were all these fractions actually struck in silver? Especially those lower than hemidrachm? Hemitetartemorion - was it actually struck anywhere? If yes, in what metal?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version