Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

Kassander's bronzes

(1/1)

slokind:
Does anyone know anything about motif-marks (rather than monograms) on these?  Mine has a pretty clear kerykeion.  As for locating it in Sear, I just don't know where to look.

15 10 04 Æ 18  4.28g  axis 8:00  Macedon.  Kassander (issues of c. 306-297, HN).  Obv., head of Apollo, with laurel wreath (?).  Rev., elaborate tripod and at far right kerykeion.  ASILEOmegaS at r. of tripod and [K]ASSANDR[OV] at left.
Cf. SNG Cop 2, 1160-1162; Lindgren 1301; Gaebler AMNG III, p. 177, 9 Taf. XXXII, 10, but where he mentions monograms to l. and r. of the legends, my coin has (on flan) a kerykeion to the right of Basileos.  Cannot locate in Sear GKV.

AlexB:
Nice, have a similar one...

But what I really want is an AR of Kassander - never seen one

AlexB

Howard Cole:
Sear 6755

As for the marks, don't know anything about them.

Howard Cole

slokind:
Silver of Kassander: as of 1911, B. V. Head HN p. 228 says, "This king did not place his name upon the gold or silver money, which continued to be issued in the name of Alexander the Great (Class IV)."  An Alexander collector will know about "Class IV", whether still a current category.  AlexB's head of Apollo is quite different from mine: these could get addictive as Philip II Apollo / Rider bronzes are (or, most of all, Head of Eros / Crown of Isis for Antiochos IV).
Thank you for the Sear number.  The fact is, once you get used to them, the specialized books are easier to find things in (and Sear has no index of Hellenistic kings when you look in the Europe volume!).  But once I looked it up, thanks to your remembering that it's in the Asia & Africa volume, I found my device, the kerykeion (caduceus) on the specimen that Sear cites.  Following no. 6756, he also dashes our hopes of finding silver struck in Kassander's name.
P.L.

AlexB:
Hi

I am an eternal optimist! Must be something somewhere if not just an Alexander tet with monogram/initials/mint that were from Kassander...

Krgds

AlexB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version