Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

cistophoric tetradrachm

(1/4) > >>

cicero:
hi,
Does anyone know of a good summary article or better yet complete book on the cistophoric tetradrachm series?
I know that the series starts in Mysia and is associated with Pergamon. The standard and motif then pops up in other cities in the region and continues all the way through the beginnings of roman occupation. If anyone knows of a good overview of this subject I would appreciate hearing about it. I would also appreciate any comments anyone has on this series. i currently own 11 examples of the cistophoric tetradrachm.........
regards
Cicero

whitetd49:
I've always been fascinated by this series.  Featherz has a nice collection of these.  Any chance that we could convince you to post your coins in the Gallery?  Love to see them!

featherz:
Here are mine:
http://www.aeqvitas.com/photo.php?freeform=cistophoric

I have the Kleiner-Noe reference, which is usually available pretty cheaply online. I think I purchased it for $14.95 from Oxbow books a year or two back.

whitetd49:
You inspired me, here is my lone example:

whitetd49:
Obviously I'm preparing to post some Greek coins to my gallery.  In the specimen above, I am lacking one element for a final attribution.  This coin is:
Mysia, Pergamon AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm. Cista mystica with serpent; all within ivy wreath / Bow-case with serpents, PER monogram to left, TI? above, snake-entwined staff to right.

I can't find an example with the TI above.  Anyone recognize this combination of symbols?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version