Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aspendos Stater - a bit too rounded perhaps?  (Read 386 times)

Offline Mateusz W

• Consul
Aspendos Stater - a bit too rounded perhaps?
« on: May 23, 2023, 06:12:01 pm »
I'm a bit worried about this stater - it's a really nice quality and i bought it from a decent company (they have listed over 20 auctions up to now on biddr), however he edges are a bit too rounded maybe? The surface of the coin looks ok, but i have never seen a specimen struck so nicely hence I'm asking for your advices

10,81g/22,4mm

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Aspendos Stater - a bit too rounded perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 03:35:14 am »
The coin looks fine in pictures, the weight is fine, the silver looks old, the style fine, the planchet and edge ok and it is struck.
Authentication means judging the coin as whole and not only one detail.
(It can sometimes help to collect arguments for and against authenticity of a coin and giving them a value and later look which side is more convincing).
Even authentic coins can have sometimes strange details but if you look at them as whole and compare them with authentic coins from same emission they look fine.
Fake coins can have many strange details and look obvious wrong as whole if you compare them with authentic specimens.
But there can be fakes, if you see them as whole give you the feeling they must be fake but you can not really put a finger on what exactly the problem is.

Here seem to be two die matches at least obverse (same die flaw above wrester´s hands).

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=aspendos+stater+ml&category=1-2&lot=&date_from=&date_to=&thesaurus=1&images=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&currency=usd&order=0

All coins are guaranteed for eternity