Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alexander the Great Silver Drachm in Bezel  (Read 348 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Alexander the Great Silver Drachm in Bezel
« on: May 11, 2023, 11:14:09 am »
I cannot authenticate or condemn this coin. I find it suspicious, but it does appear to be struck (double struck) and I don't see it in the Fake Coin Reports. The bezel makes it very difficult. I would just return it to the consignor, but I would like to help them with a better evaluation before rejecting it as "cannot authenticate."  Anyone know of a fake or genuine die match?  Opinions?  Thanks.

Alexander the Great, silver drachm, cf. Price 1437 (monogram under throne obscure), Lampsakos(?), 310 - 301 B.C., c. 19.5mm, 0 die axis, weight not available due to bezel. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Alexander the Great Silver Drachm in Bezel
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 11:23:40 am »
bump
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 05:22:07 pm »
I am not aware of any fake from this obverse or reverse die.
I am not sure if the attribution is actually correct (I can not see a pegasos left) but I am not able to offer any better attribution.
The style reminded me on Chios mint but there the closest symbol would be a triskeles and it is not fitting too.

I assume it is authentic but if the rim has been manipulated (rounded, filed) that if fits into the mount it will have a huge negative affect on value, the preservation is not the best and the double strike affects the attractivity of the coin negative. Not sure if spending much time on such a coin make sense if we consider its value. The symbole is not really readable anymore due to the double strike, so someone could spend many hours (looking for possible obverse or reverse die matches) and will possibly still not being able to attribute it.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 10:06:25 pm »
Thanks Din X. I will look into Chios. A trikeles seems possible. The numismatic value undoubtedly reduced by being put in a bezel. The value now is as jewelry, still a replica in jewelry is not as appealing as a genuine coin in jewelry.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity