Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vitellius - Same Coin with 2 Different Grades - Fakes?  (Read 454 times)

Offline Doug J3

• Auxiliary
Vitellius - Same Coin with 2 Different Grades - Fakes?
« on: April 19, 2023, 10:16:20 pm »
I found a Vitellius Coin on an Auction House, with another sold example a few years earlier. Coins appear to be the same but different grades, Different Cert Nos. Wasn't sure if its a Duplicate fake, or same Coin Re-Graded Higher. I'm no expert but like to buy some coins, usually graded cause I do not have any expertise. Appreciate any info.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: Vitellius - Same Coin with 2 Different Grades - Fakes?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 10:46:46 pm »
Yes, it is the same coin just submitted again for re-grading. Unfortunately this seems to be coming a thing...more worried about grades than the coins themselves.  Resubmit...Resubmit....Resubmit  ::)
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Doug J3

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 11:25:05 pm »
Appreciate it. 

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 12:03:58 am »
Sending coins back hoping for a higher grade is a thing with some modern coins and collectors from what I have read (and some other collectibles like baseball cards). Never heard of it with ancients. This is one reason I don't collect modern coins. To be honest, I also avoid slabbed ancient coins because I always assume that it is more expensive simply because it is slabbed (I may be wrong, but that is my impression). Plus, if I get a slabbed coin, I take it out of the slab. LOL. With ancients, it is about eye appeal and what you like, not some grade. Grading also varies across coins from different places and eras and is very subjective. I truly have no idea what the difference is between a Choice XF and Choice AU even is. I am not even sure there really are any true Choice AU ancient coins. Maybe  gold. 

Virgil

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 06:45:57 pm »
AU?  What does that mean?
Obviously I'm behind the times.

Ross G.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 06:47:45 pm »
Almost Uncirculated.

Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 07:33:54 pm »
MS (mint state) and AU (about uncirculated) with strike 5/5 and surface 5/5 go for crazy prices to people who do not normally collect ancients. Sometimes really crazy. Most of the coins sold with NGC certification on FORVM come to us that way. Occasionally, I send a coin when I want a second opinion. Occasionally, I send a coin for a consignor when I think it will bring them a significantly higher price (usually popular common coins, in exceptional condition).
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 07:59:08 pm »
My bad, I said Almost rather than About. Still meaningless to me. But this is why I avoid slabbed coins, because people expect higher prices. I have bought a few, but not because they are slabbed, it was because the price was right. I only buy from trusted sources, such as Forum, so have no real worries about fakes.

Virgil

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 09:53:11 pm »
Obviously "about" is just a euphemism for almost.

Ross G.

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 09:33:05 am »
It's the same coin. The difference in grade has nothing to do with resubmitting the coin and getting a different grade. In the first instance the coin is "net graded" at CEF. The net grade takes into account the strike and surface and nets out any defects to arrive at a general grade for the coin. In the second instance, it's a full grade with strike and surface grades. In this instance, the CHAU grade is the circulation grade and indicative of the amount of wear, and the surface grade of 2 indicates that the surfaces are not great.

Barry Murphy

All coins are guaranteed for eternity