Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Diva Faustina Sestertius unknown type  (Read 395 times)

Offline kc

• Caesar
Diva Faustina Sestertius unknown type
« on: March 23, 2023, 05:30:06 pm »
Here I show a very rare (maybe unknown) type for Faustina I. I was searching for other examples but could not find any...no examples on acsearch, wildwinds, no success in the RIC.

Maybe you know more?

Diva Faustina I Sestertius
Obv. DIVA AVGVSTA FAVSTINA, veiled and draped bust to right.
Rev. SECVRITAS PVBLICA S C, Securitas standing to left, holding sceptre and resting arm on column.
Mint: Rome, after 141 AD.

31mm       21.99g

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Diva Faustina Sestertius unknown type
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 09:28:12 am »
Hi,

Adding to places it isn't listed: BMC, Hunter (collection or conspectus), Strack. A mule with the reverse of Pius RIC 640-1 perhaps? The period of the obverse may suggest so.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 02:13:53 pm »
Mauseus,

I agree with you: an interesting mule combining an obverse of Diva Faustina I with a Securitas reverse of Antoninus Pius as COS III (140-144 AD).

What do you mean by your last sentence, however: "The period of the obverse may suggest so"?

Curtis
Curtis Clay

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 07:13:24 pm »
Hi Curtis,

I thought that the longer obverse Faustina titles were quite soon after her death so that they were from the same period as the dates on the obverse of the known Pius reverse type; therefore the mule would be a logical one was what I was trying to express.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 05:48:04 am »
Interesting mule; thanks for sharing!

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity