Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage

iPhone 14 Pro Max Photo Thread

<< < (2/5) > >>

Molinari:
Probably—this was just a quick snapshot.

Virgil H:
I do not have an iPhone, but I have an Android phone with a decent camera and the little three lens array. Possibly Apple cameras are better. I have taken my best photos of coins with it because my real camera has macro limitations that I haven't figured out. But, I am still not happy. The digital artifacts introduced by these tiny lenses are very noticeable to me and, while the photos suffice, they are not on par with what dealers and auction houses produce. Especially with zooming, the digital stuff makes my coins what I would call in old photography terms, grainy. I would also add artificial. Your photos look quite good and are probably adequate for what you need them for (I wouldn't use them in a book), but I can tell they are digitally produced. People argue with me, but there is no way these tiny lenses can make truly good pictures. There is a reason a Zeiss lease can cost $1K or more, not counting the camera it goes on. I find it somewhat dismaying that no one (except me) uses a real camera these days. When I carry it now, I get funny looks. Of course, most people take a photo with their camera, upload it to some place like Facebook or Instagram, and no one ever sees it again after a day or two. No more photo albums that families hand down. Someone dies, their photos go with them because no one goes through hard drives of deceased people's computers, etc. It is ironic because we have entered a time when future generations will have fewer photos of their ancestors than we had in the later 20th century.

Virgil

Prieure de Sion:

--- Quote from: Molinari on December 30, 2022, 02:25:07 pm ---The price difference between the 14 Pro and Pro Max is not much and the Pro does not have the macro lens.

--- End quote ---

Sorry to correct you here (no offence intended).

a) No iPhone has a macro lens. Not even the 14 Pro Max. The macro function is done by the wide angle lens - the macro function itself is done by the software. The three cameras of the 14 Pro and the 14 Pro Max are: 48 (wide angle), 12 (ultra wide angle), 12 (telephoto).

b) The iPhone 14 Pro and the 14 Pro max do not differ in terms of the camera and the macro function.

"iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max differ only in battery and size."

Only the iPhone 14 and the iPhone 14 Plus have only 2 camera lenses and do not support the macro function.

iPhone 14 - 2 camera lenses - no macro function
iPhone 14 Plus - 2 camera lenses - no macro function
iPhone 14 Pro - 3 camera lenses - with macro function
iPhone 14 Pro Max - 3 camera lenses - with macro function

Just in case another interested party is reading along here and is faced with the decision, 14 Pro or 14 Pro Max. By the way, the iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro max also have 3 lenses and support the macro function as well.

Molinari:
None taken.  My wife must have the Pro Plus then, because hers is definitely different.

Getting the phones was a real fiasco.  I recommend to anyone between the ages of 18-75 to do it yourself online instead of in store. I didn’t realize this was an option until too late!

More photos soon :)

Molinari:
McCabe method: sitting by window on cloudy day, light gray background.  Took about 60 seconds each including stitch and crop with “FrameMagic” app. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version