Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of Baanes Apo Hypaton 6th-7th Century?  (Read 469 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal of Baanes Apo Hypaton 6th-7th Century?
« on: November 19, 2022, 04:10:50 pm »
 I acquired a handsome Byzantine seal which measures 21.99 mm and weighs 12.44 g.   On the obverse is a cruciform monogram  A-B-N-O-V within a leafed ring.    On the reverse is a cruciform monogram  α - ν - ο - π - τ - υ - ω  within a leafed ring.    I think that it solves Βαάνου, ἀπὀ ὑπάτων =
(Seal of) Baanes, apo hypaton and dates to 6th/7th century.  Am I correct?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Online Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine Seal of Baanes Apo Hypaton 6th-7th Century?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 04:59:11 pm »
Yes, you are correct!

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 08:17:59 am »
Thank you Gert.  Are seals with Armenian names somewhat unusual?  I believe that this seal may have been found near modern day Armenia

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Online Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 09:52:36 am »
Somewhat unusual, but not very rare. There were tons of Armenians in Byzantine service over the years.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity