Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordian III Coin - authentic or fake  (Read 820 times)

Offline Hans-Wilhelm T

• Legionary
Gordian III Coin - authentic or fake
« on: November 18, 2022, 10:59:34 pm »
I bougth it on Ebay
Wight: 4,54 gramms.

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Gordian III Coin - authentic or fake
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 11:12:52 pm »
Dear Hans-Wilhelm T and Board,

I will let others weigh in with possibly more evidence, but the fact that it shares the same reverse die as this piece in the Fake Reports makes me extremely doubtful about its authenticity (let alone the coin's strange style):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pid=1929

The edge on your coin also makes me a bit wary, but since the striking and shapes of the two flans are obviously different, at least one of the coins was struck (not cast). 

Hope this helps a little, despite not being the news you probably wanted to hear! 

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 08:06:03 am »

Hans: I don’t think it’s a reverse die match. Compare the standard above the hand and the top of the S. Also, the coin in the fake report does not show any flow lines. Yours does suggesting it was struck.  Yes, flow lines can be replicated in a cast coin, but those are small flows and would be hard to replicate in the mold and if replicated on the mold hard to have full metal in flow. Lots of folks here have more experience than me, but your coin looks ok to me. 

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 08:22:28 am »

Also, while the photo in the fake report isn’t clear, compare the ground line and the relationship of the feet to the ground line. They look different to me. 

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 02:41:16 pm »

Hans: I don’t think it’s a reverse die match. Compare the standard above the hand and the top of the S. Also, the coin in the fake report does not show any flow lines. Yours does suggesting it was struck.  Yes, flow lines can be replicated in a cast coin, but those are small flows and would be hard to replicate in the mold and if replicated on the mold hard to have full metal in flow. Lots of folks here have more experience than me, but your coin looks ok to me.
I disagree and think it's a reverse die match as Mark said.

The coin in the fake reports seems to be at a little bit of an angle and might be the reason you're seeing differences.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 03:45:28 pm »

I acknowledge it could be.  A more clear photo of the coin in the fake report would help.  But there are also obvious differences in the lower legs of the F and the IT in MILITVM. The earrings also are different.  Perhaps all those differences are accounted for by the fake being cast, with resulting loss of detail and maybe distortion in the mold and the photo.  But I think Hans’ coin was struck, given the sharp details, flow lines, and the likely die break at the top of the S.  I wouldn’t condemn the coin on this photographic record. JMHO.

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 04:34:53 pm »
They look like the same 'die' to me as well. Hans' coin looks like it has sharper detail, and it does have a thin raised line below the exergue, but there are other areas of it that look like they have signs of casting to me (i.e the drapery mid section and the figure's face). However, this might only be because of the condition of the coin, as I see similar 'roughness' on the obverse.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 06:41:51 pm »
I instantly thought it was fake—it just has a weird look.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 08:57:49 pm »

Ok, having checked out some examples of ric 1 and ric 182 online I see what y’all are saying about style, both obverse and reverse. Gee, Hans’ coin sure looks struck to me though.  Kinda scary. 

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 11:32:13 pm »
Casting pearls on obverse face, weird Gordian iii portrait style, off blue-green patination. 

I would not have purchased it.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 03:00:08 am »

A little easier to compare.

Offline Hans-Wilhelm T

• Legionary
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 04:40:13 am »

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 07:11:05 am »

Ok, having checked out some examples of ric 1 and ric 182 online I see what y’all are saying about style, both obverse and reverse. Gee, Hans’ coin sure looks struck to me though.  Kinda scary.
I think it is a struck or pressed fake, not cast. But definitely fake IMO.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2022, 09:01:04 am »
The seller is peddling mostly authentic coins, in my view. It's odd though, as someone who is clearly selling ancients as a business, they could invest in better photography.

It's not unusual for some casual dealers to sell a fake inadvertently. Perhaps reach out to them with your concerns.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Hans-Wilhelm T

• Legionary
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2022, 11:24:47 pm »
What do you think is witz this Coin: is it authentic?

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2022, 12:06:31 am »
have you checked the fakes gallery yet?

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity