Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What happened to this Hieron II bronze's die?  (Read 713 times)

Offline Inland Empire

• Legionary
What happened to this Hieron II bronze's die?
« on: April 10, 2022, 10:50:21 am »
Hey folks,

I have recently aquired my first ancient coins after spending quite some time in reading up on the topic.
One of the coins I've got is this Hieron II bronze coin (HGC2 1550) from Syracuse.
Now I wonder what might have happened to the trident on the reverse. Usually the handle of the trident would be expected to be centered below the middle spike. In this case
it's clearly off to the left. I'd suspect a double strike during the minting process for this, but I don't see much else that would indicate it.
Any ideas what happened here?

Cheers,
Alex

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: What happened to this Hieron II bronze's die?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 11:08:13 am »
Yes, probably a double strike

Another indication is the ring surrounding the coin image.

Offline Inland Empire

• Legionary
Re: What happened to this Hieron II bronze's die?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 02:12:26 pm »
Thank you, good point.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity