Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Strange object at the back of SOL

<< < (2/2)

SC:
The item is very unlikely to be a sword pommel.  Swords were worn on the back in fantasy novels, but not in the Roman period when they were worn at the hip on a waist belt or at the side between hip and shoulder slung on a shoulder baldric, which always had a strap that passed diagonal over the chest.

Every other fibula that I have seen on a bust is set lower, on the shoulder part.  Plus this is comparatively huge.  And it looks like no fibula.

Though it looks odd I suspect it is bow-related.  Top of a quiver - though shape is weird.  Fletched end of a bundle of arrows in a quiver?  Perhaps the end of a bow case?

SC

Blindado:
He's a wind-up Sol.

Ron C2:
I gathered a few more images of RIC 64 for comparison. 

I basically found no other examples with quite as pronounced a shoulder artifact.  In most cases, above the shoulder on the left side of the reverse, you see a protrusion of the cloak or the hint of a fibula. 

My guess is it's not meant to be anything other than perhaps a poorly executed part of the cloak garment.  If you look at the other end of the cloak on OP's coin, there is another (slightly smaller) object, similar in shape, so I'm guessing a decorative cloak feature marking either end of the garment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version