Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Using Galleries for Coin Research  (Read 650 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Using Galleries for Coin Research
« on: December 31, 2021, 11:31:56 pm »
I almost hijacked another thread for this, but decided to make it a separate thread. There are lots of great galleries on Forum, they are fun to look at. I have seen a couple people say they are useful for research. That part I can't figure out. What am I missing? How can I collectively use the galleries to find coins I am researching? They are great to look at, but for finding potential examples of coins I am researching, it seems a stretch.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Using Galleries for Coin Research
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 12:46:38 am »
Dear Virgil and Board,

The "Members' Gallery" here on Forvm is an invaluable resource for researchers.  I often use it for coin attributing purposes and it was in fact the place where I identified the first Roman provincial I ever bought, which at the time was an unpublished issue of Hierapolis-Castabala.  It contains many coin types/varieties that are not commonly found and/or pictured elsewhere and some of the detailed descriptions are worthy of a long pause.  Also, when doing a die study, any database with even just one exclusive example of the coin type under study is a welcome sight indeed!  I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that Forvm's (public) member galleries are a godsend.

Best regards and Happy New Year!

Mark Fox
Michigan         

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 12:59:02 am »
   :)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 08:08:56 am »
For anything Flavian there are at least 4 galleries where you will find almost every example in RIC (and even what's not in RIC).  Invaluable resource.

Online Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 08:14:13 am »
Are you aware of how to search through all galleries? Click Search (or the magnifying glass symbol if you are using your phone) and choose ‘MembersGallery’ like the screenshot below.

There are over 117,000 file entries, with members adding new coins every day. Unlike the auction house search engines, these are people’s actual collections and include many interesting coins that may not make it to an auction for reasons including price or condition.

The member adds the photo and coin description (hopefully), and the quality of  this does vary widely.

I often check the galleries to compare things like weight and diameter, and to ascertain scarcity in ‘real world’ collection conditions. It is a treasure trove of data that is both distinct and complimentary to the auction house databases and reference websites like Wildwinds.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 06:52:42 pm »
Thanks for the responses, especially Pharsalas, I did not know how to do a search of the galleries that way. I will certainly try that. Makes me more incentivized to figure out the coin photography and start my own gallery. My coins are nothing special, but to add them to a database like this may help someone down the road, especially as I have some that don't show up in acsearch because they are too common or not valuable.

Regards,
Virgil

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 03:49:53 pm »
 +++ :) ;)

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity