Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Byzantine Coins Discussion Forum

Heraclius Follis of Nicomedia Or NOT?

(1/2) > >>

Joe Sermarini:
This coin came described as Heraclius, Nicomedia mint, follis, year 3, DOC II-1 155a, SBCV 833.
11.170g, 33.5mm, 180 die axis.
The reverse is double struck and the coin may be overstruck.
The obverse legend is perhaps -NYSPPAVG upward on the left
The cross on the crown or helmet does not match the Heraclius follis.

I am being a bit lazy here but I am hoping one of you will look at it and just know what it is, perhaps saving me a lot of time trying to figure it out.

Thanks, Joe

Ron C2:

--- Quote from: Joe Sermarini on December 18, 2021, 02:21:51 pm ---This coin came described as Heraclius, Nicomedia mint, follis, year 3, DOC II-1 155a, SBCV 833.
11.170g, 33.5mm, 180 die axis.
The reverse is double struck and the coin may be overstruck.
The obverse legend is perhaps -NYSPPAVG upward on the left
The cross on the crown or helmet does not match the Heraclius follis.

I am being a bit lazy here but I am hoping one of you will look at it and just know what it is, perhaps saving me a lot of time trying to figure it out.

Thanks, Joe

--- End quote ---

Joe did you intend to post a picture?

Joe Sermarini:
Oops. Thanks Ron.

SC:
I think the overtype (?) must be from Nicomedia given that K in the exergue.

Looking at the remains of the upper corner of the M and the N in ANNO it seems to me that there are differences so I think it is an overstrike and not double-strike.

SC

Joe Sermarini:
Thanks Shawn. I agree is it almost certainly overstruck. My biggest question is who's bust is it. Is it Heraclius? Or perhaps it is a completely different emperor? Nothing convinces me that this is definitely SBCV 833. I will eventually have to flip through plates of DOC until I find something convincing. I am just hoping someone else looks and, perhaps from having a similar coin, says, "Oh, that's....."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version