Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins Discussion Forum

Dirham of Al-Muqtadir please help

(1/1)

Jochen:
Dear friends!

In the last few days I have been given some coins by a friend, including this dirham. I believe that it was minted under Al-Muqtadir. Can anyone translate the Arabic legends?

With thanks in advance
Jochen

Jochen:
In the meantime I got an answer:

Abbasid, al-Muqtadir bi'llah, citing abu'l ‘Abbas as heir-apparent, AH 317, AR Dirham, al-Mawsil (Mosul, Iraq) mint (AH 295-320/908-932 AD)
Obverse (First photo):
Field:
لا اله الا , There is no diety except
الله وحده  , (the one) God alone
لا شريك له , He has no equal
ابو العباس بن , Abu'l 'Abbas son of (Referring to abu al-‘Abbas as heir-apparent)
أمير المؤمنين  , the commander of the faithful
Inner margin: Mint and date (al-Mawsil, 317)
بسم الله ضرب هذا الدرهم بالموصل سنة سبع عشره وثلثمائه ۳۱۷ , Bism Allah dhuriba hatha al-Dirham bi-al-Mawsil (Mosul, Iraq) sanah sab'a 'ashra wa thalath mi'a 317.
Outer Margin: لله الامر من قبل و من بعد و يومئذن يفزح المؤمنون بنصر الله  , To God is the will before and after and on that day the believers shall rejoice in God's victory
Reverse (Second photo):
Field:
لله , Lillah
محمد  , Muhammad
رسول , Rasul
الله , Allah
المقتدر بالله , al-Muqtadir bi’llah
Margin:
محمد رسول الله ارسله بالهدى و دين الحق ليظهره على الدين كله ولو كره المشركون , Muhammad is the messenger of God. He sent him with guidance and the true religion to reveal it to all religions even if the polytheists abhor it.
Abu’l-Faḍl Jaʿfar ibn Ahmad al-Muʿtaḍid (أبو الفضل جعفر بن أحمد المعتضد‎), better known by his regnal name Al-Muqtadir bi-llah (المقتدر بالله‎, "Mighty in God"), was the eighteenth Caliph of the Abbasid Caliphate from 908 to 932 AD (295–320 AH), with the exception of a brief deposition in favor of al-Qahir in 928.

Jochen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version