Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unidentified mount (Roman?)  (Read 783 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Unidentified mount (Roman?)
« on: December 04, 2021, 01:29:41 pm »
This mount measures only 36 mm and is 9,22 grams. It appears to be an openwork mount but it looks to be cut or sliced out? I assume it's a roman military mount but being so small it possibly was a horse harness mount.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Unidentified mount (Roman?)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 03:47:39 pm »
It could be a mount (phalera) for a sword baldric (shoulder strap).

That's what it looks like, the two-piece type with the hole for the separate D-ring.  However, it is a bit small.  Most documented baldric phalerae are 50-80 mm diameter, with a few known as small as 40 mm.

Perhaps this is a smaller provincial version??

It could also be a form of strap mount I guess but round types with a hole in the centre are not really documented.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Re: Unidentified mount (Roman?)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 01:15:25 pm »
Yes I think I agree with you possibly thinking it's a provincial made baldric mount. The style isn't refined.

Thanks  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity