Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Ancient Coin Forum

Hartwig (Santamaria 1910) Plates

<< < (2/5) > >>

Kevin D:
Excellent high quality scans. Much appreciated, Steve. If you decide to upload your Sternberg catalogs, please let us know.

I have no doubt that the Hartwig and Bement Lots are the same coin. I think probably just a typo error on the weight (7 for 6). It looks like Vlasto 736-738 (without DI below dolphin).

Steve Moulding:
Thank you Kevin - glad you liked them!

I do tend to scan at higher resolutions, usually 600-1200 dpi plates and 300dpi for text. As result a whole scanned catalog can be very fat. I'm looking at setting up a cdn-like solution (like Amazon cloudfront) that would ease any strain on my rnumis storage and bandwidth. The Sternberg PDFs run from 50MB to 350MB each, so that adds up (I have 19 digitized and still have a few more to do). What I currently do is share digitized catalogs with other interested folks on request using WeTransfer. They just check what scans I have using my rnumis auction-house pages (eg  https://www.rnumis.com/house_auctions.php?house=STERN) and tell me what they need. That seems to work well and I'm happy to do that for now but I'm still thinking about what's the best long term solution.

Regarding the elephant...unfortunately I don't have a Vlasto in front of me so was just going off http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/calabria/taras/i.html. From the auctions they cite (Peus and Sincona), 732 is the elephant without DI and 735 for elephant+DI (and horse+rider+standing figure). Different from the 736-738 you suggested. Meepzorp's elephant is also listed as Vlasto 736. Wildwinds 736 is completely different. I need to see Vlasto as it's not clear to me.

I agree Hartwig 121 and Bement 100 are almost certainly the same coin. Probably, what look like real differences are really just a result of different casting processes/quality at Santamaria and Naville. Also a 6.25g weight for Hartwig would make much more sense, but even that's 0.04g off from Naville...more than I usually see so I wonder if the whole Hartwig 7.29g is just wrong. I guess it doesn't matter so much if it really is the same coin, as seem likely.

Thanks again

Steve

Steve Moulding:
Hi Meepzorp, I have indeed looked at your website! You have some amazing coins and I love the work you put into presenting them; the accompanying detailed notes and holder images are super useful. The Taras elephant is really nice. The Neapolis elephant too. I'm going to have to find one. Or both!

Hartwig 6 (Hyria) I have to think there was a problem. According to the price sheet it didn't sell. Yours looks more consistent with others I've checked from the old Naville sales. Initially, the hair on the Hartwig head seems a little different but I have to look at it some more.

Steve

Meepzorp:

--- Quote from: STEVEN M1 on November 25, 2021, 10:23:11 pm ---Hi Meepzorp, I have indeed looked at your website! You have some amazing coins and I love the work you put into presenting them; the accompanying detailed notes and holder images are super useful.

--- End quote ---

Hi SM,

Thanks for the kind words.

I began working on my project in November 2012. I began working on my website (which is Phase III of my project) in November 2015. This month is 6 years that I am working on it. I have literally thousands of hours of work invested in my website. It has consumed 6 years of my life, and there is still no end in sight.

I am glad that some people appreciate it.

Meepzorp

Meepzorp:

--- Quote from: STEVEN M1 on November 25, 2021, 10:23:11 pm ---Hartwig 6 (Hyria) I have to think there was a problem. According to the price sheet it didn't sell. Yours looks more consistent with others I've checked from the old Naville sales. Initially, the hair on the Hartwig head seems a little different but I have to look at it some more.

--- End quote ---

Hi SM,

It is interesting that you mentioned that observation. About 1-2 years ago, a major European dealer had a very nice Hyria coin of that type for sale. Unfortunately, someone had tooled it in modern times. In particular, the hair was blatantly tooled. The dealer didn't realize it. I was the person who pointed it out to him in an email, which included links to untooled examples. After reading my email, he confirmed that it had been horribly tooled (especially the hair). Someone had ruined a beautiful example of that coin, one that was much better than mine. The dealer didn't withdraw the coin, but he did add a note to the text description in the sale stating that the coin had been tooled in modern times. For obvious reasons, that coin also did not sell. No one bid on it. I wonder if it is the same coin as the one in Santamaria auction catalog.

Meepzorp

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version