Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Ancient Coin Forum

Hartwig (Santamaria 1910) Plates

<< < (5/5)

Steve Moulding:

--- Quote from: Enodia on November 27, 2021, 12:31:15 am ---Well I  will certainly be checking out anything else you post on the subject. Maybe I will even find further provenance for my own Taras collection!

--- End quote ---

Further provenance would be very cool! You have a great collection. Love reading your detailed notes; they're very helpful.

--- Quote from: Enodia on November 27, 2021, 12:31:15 am ---
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I believe the illustrated coin is 736 and not 37 or 38. 738 doesn't have the GY, and I don't think 737 does either, although the Vlasto plate coin is off-center so I can't be absolutely certain.

Looking forward to your future posts.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the clarification Peter, and thank you!

Steve

edit
Was posting this as Kevin was posting re: 738. (sorry Kevin! and thank you).

Steve Moulding:
There is a Nomos (Obolos) lot that claims to be from the same dies as Vlasto 737 (I can't verify though) and on that one the GY is visible. 
https://nomosag.com/default.aspx?page=ucAuctionDetails&auctionid=18&id=42&p=1&s=&ca=1028&type=webauction

Steve

Kevin D:
Steve,

The Vlasto 737 coin is in poor condition, and I am unable to confirm or deny the die match.

I see that at least one major auction house is listing coins of this type, without DI, as Vlasto 736-738.

Ravel makes no mention of this type without GY.

Unless coins of this type (with or without DI) can be found that clearly have no GY, I will assume that they all have GY.

Steve Moulding:
Got it. Thank you Kevin!

Steve

Steve Moulding:
Meepzorp, Kevin D, Enodia and board.

An update on the Hartwig/Bement Tarentine elephant. I now know where it went and where it is now.
Today I was continuing my journey through the online catalog of the superb Lloyd collection, now residing at the British Museum. And there it was!

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_1946-0101-205

So, now we know this elephant is

Hartwig, Santamaria (1908), 121
Bement, Naville VI (1924), 100
SNG Lloyd, 205
British Museum 1946,0101.205

This also resolves the weight difference issue - the reason I brought up this coin in the first place.

6.29g Bement (considered likely by the board)
7.25g Hartwig (considered unlikely by the board)

As Lloyd/British Museum reports 6.30g, we have independent confirmation and conclude it was indeed a Santamaria typo.

Steve

[image shows - from top to bottom - Hartwig (Santamaria), Bement (Naville), and LLoyd (British Museum)]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version