Numism > Help For the New Ancient Coin Collector

Extra costs for UK customer

(1/1)

David T7:
Forgive me if this has been covered (a lot) before but I've searched and can't find previous answers.

I live in the UK so presumably if I buy from Forvm I will be liable for import duty, VAT and possibly other costs. Is there also a chance an over-zealous official might even seize the item?

I did try to look into the import duty question but it's pretty complex and to be honest I got lost.

Thanks folks.

Dave 

PeterD:
Last time I looked there was no duty on ancient coins, just 5% VAT. If a package is sent without the VAT being prepaid it may be liable to a spot-check. In this case the package is side-lined to HM Customs from which a bill for the VAT plus a 'handling charge' will be sent.

Joe Sermarini:
I do not know what import duties or VAT you might have to pay. I do know it is rare for UK customs to ask for payment. Most shipments just go through without any duty or tax.

In almost 25 years of shipping, we have only had one shipment taken by another country's customs. That country was Israel. The coin was a common, ordinary coin ancient coin. I do not remember exactly what type but it was not a type from Israel. I still do not know why they took it. We have shipped to Israel many times both before and since.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version