Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Faustina II denarius with Phoenix  (Read 394 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Faustina II denarius with Phoenix
« on: November 24, 2021, 11:13:16 am »
Hi!

I would like to share an interesting denarius of Faustina II with Phoenix. I always wanted a coin with Phoenix so I am very happy with this very scarce type. There are only few coins of this type out there. May be only several in internet, including one in BM.  On contrast, a similar type of Faustina I with Phoenix is very common. There are hundreds of Faustina Senior' denarii with Phoenix on internet.

This coin is also featured in my new video about erroneous items in hands of roman divinities (though this coin is only rare and beautiful).

https://youtu.be/IU-NCIdS0dM

Ob. DIVA FAVSTINA PIABust of Diva Faustina II, hair waved and fastened in a bun on back of head, draped, right
Rev.  AETERNITAS - Aeternitas, draped, standing left, holding globe surmounted by Phoenix in extended right hand and leaning on column at left
RIC 740 (Marcus Aurelius)

2,85 g - 18mm - 6h

thank you for your time.

z.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Faustina II denarius with Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 06:01:47 am »
Hi timka,

Nice coin! :)

Meepzorp

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 07:53:48 am »
Very good view too!

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 04:16:46 pm »
Meepzorp and Shawn, thank you for your posts!

Yes, the coin is nice, it looks much better in reality...Unfortunately, the camera on my phone failed me, - the pics look terrible.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity