Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Large hoard of denarii found in Augsburg (Augusta Vindelicum)  (Read 802 times)

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Large hoard of denarii found in Augsburg (Augusta Vindelicum)
« on: October 20, 2021, 10:47:00 am »
A large hoard of abt. 5,500 denarii has been found by the city archeologists in Augsburg. The earliest coins are drom Nero's reign, the latest from the time of Septimius Severus. I only found German links, however, you may still like the pictures: https://www.staz.de/region/augsburg/kultur/bayerns-groesster-roemerschatz-5600-silbermuenzen-augsburg-entdeckt-id230863.html

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Large hoard of denarii found in Augsburg (Augusta Vindelicum)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 06:08:12 pm »
I looked at the two enlargeable photos at the bottom.  Wow!  These are not worn pieces....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 07:15:42 pm »
That site had a huge pop-up covering the article, so I couldn't see anything, but that is a seemingly huge hoard. Very cool. What happens to hoards like this in Germany? Will any of the coins come to market as it is in the UK? I always wonder about the various countries. My time in Turkey taught me about how strict some countries can be to the point I would never even try to buy a real ancient coin or artifact there.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 08:38:06 pm »
This hoard was found by city archaeologists in official excavations so it will presumably remain part of a museum's collectionHad it been a private find on private property Germany has laws that I believe are closer (though not exact) to the UK than to somewhere like Turkey.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 09:26:40 pm »
Thank you for that explanation.
Virgil

Offline Thilo

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 06:07:34 am »
The hoard was found in an official excavation, indeed, however, on a private property. Thus, under German law, 50 % would belong to the property owners However, the owners decided to donate their share to the public. Thus, the hoard will stay united and will be shown in Augsburg's Roman Museum in December and January (I figure before restauration).

Please note, however, that Augsburg's temporary Roman museum (the former museum was of considerable size in a former Dominican monastery church) is currently housed in the city's "Zeughaus" with extremely limited space. This - indeed depressing - situation of archeological presentation of Raetia's capital city's discoveries (and there are quite some a amazing things, i.a. a hoard of 52 beautifully preserved aurei)  has been going on for years, now. At this point, there is not even a plan when and where to re-open the old museum or to create an adequate new one.

If you are interested in Augsburg's archeology, you may find some information at https://www.pro-augusta.org/%C3%BCber-uns/ -  a private organization supporting the museum and archeological publications concerning Augsburg, etc.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 08:00:19 am »
... Thus, under German law, 50 % would belong to the property owners ...
As far as I know this is the situation in Bavaria only (Augsburg is situated in Bavaria), in all other parts of Germany a hoard becomes property of the state, with variations depending on the Bundesland (somehow corresponding to the states in the US).

In this sense Germany is more Turkey than UK :-\.

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity