Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Murari, "Monete da trenta nummi dei secoli VII e VIII della zecca di Roma"  (Read 858 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Does anyone have...

Murari, O. "Monete da trenta nummi dei secoli VII e VIII della zecca di Roma" in Numismatica e Antichità Classica, Quaderni Ticinesi 6 (Lugano, 1977), pp. 317 - 337.

If so, can you tell me if their is a die match in the plates for the attached coin and if their is, what plate and number? And even if there is not a die match, what number should I reference?

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Hi Joe,

This coin is very close to Murari 25a (i.e, the first and only example of Type 25 listed by Murari) although I can't say for sure that it is (or is not) a die match. There have been at least two other examples of this type on the market over the years but they don't seem to match your coin.

Murari doesn't attribute this type to a particular ruler but includes a note:

"(G. tav. VI n. 93 = Leone III con testa di Constantino V)"

whatever that means - obverse & reverse perhaps?

"G." here apparently means Grierson DOC II & III.

Ross G.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Thanks Ross. Unfortunately, that confuses me. As you said, "whatever that means...?"
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Ahh, it is all clear now thanks to your post Ross.

The tag identified this coin as Justinian II. I did not notice but similar square types are also attributed to other emperors. I now have this...

References attribute these squared types to the Senate of the City of Rome during the final stage of Byzantine rule, c. 690 - 720 (and perhaps a little later). Portraits vary and are identified as various emperors reigning during this period. Grierson identifies the portrait on this coin as the young Constantine V, at the beginning of his joint rule with his father Leo III, c. 720 A.D. Grierson has commented, in view of the specimens in the Byzantine-Papal hoard, the low weight combined with a relatively high value suggests that these squared 30 nummi types may have been intended as a billon rather than copper coinage. Murari confirmed traces of silver exist on many of the three-quarter folles he handled.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins

Grierson has commented, in view of the specimens in the Byzantine-Papal hoard, the low weight combined with a relatively high value suggests that these squared 30 nummi types may have been intended as a billon rather than copper coinage. Murari confirmed traces of silver exist on many of the three-quarter folles he handled.

I wouldn't take the billon idea too seriously.

The weight standard of the Roman 30 nummi pieces is consistent with that of the (reduced) folles of Ravenna in the same period. The nummi here are the highly reduced nummi used in Italy at this time, where the Papal-Byzantine silver types appear to be reduced siliquae of (probably) 250 nummi.

For the full story see my Note on the siliqua on my website here:

https://www.glebecoins.org/paleos/Notes/The_Siliqua/the_siliqua.html

Ross G.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity