Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Etsy real or fake - Alexander the great coin lysimachus  (Read 566 times)

Offline Mark J2

• Praetorian
Etsy real or fake - Alexander the great coin lysimachus
« on: August 15, 2021, 07:30:20 pm »
Is this one real or fake? If so help me learn why you suspect so?
Sorry, I'm learning the hard way, recently bought this on Ebay as well.

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Etsy real or fake - Alexander the great coin lysimachus
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 07:33:13 pm »
Its Fake
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 08:05:01 pm »
A horrible fake.
The style of Herakles on the obverse is comical.
Get your money back via eBay protection guarantee.
PeteB

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 11:31:31 pm »
Mark,

On the obverse edge of this coin, from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock, I might see a casting seam. Even if no seam, the coin looks fake to me.

Myself, I don't spend any time looking for coins on eBay. There is a good reason for this. My time and money are both valuable to me and I know I will do better elsewhere.

Don't let this experience deter you from the pursuit of ancient coins. If you stay the course, in time you will have so many great coins that you will be able to spread your losses amongst them and it wont be so painful (believe me, I know from personal experience).

I suggest you only buy from top tier dealers, while you spend the time it takes to learn about what looks real and what looks fake, and why. So much to learn. It takes years really. The pursuit of the knowledge is enjoyable when you are buying from a reputable top tier dealer. Forum is a top tier dealer. I have no affiliation with Forum. There are other top tier dealers as well, but I feel it might be inappropriate for me to name them here. You will become aware of who they are.

Offline Mark J2

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 12:01:00 am »
Thanks for the encouragement!
First I bought about 4 NGC coins and was all hyped.  Then I watched a youtube discussing non-slabbed so got all pumped and bought a bunch on Ebay.
Now looks like about 10 out of 10 are fake.  :     O
Yep did buy one from [REMOVED BY ADMIN].  At least the fakes were cheap or refunded.
Appreciate the encouragement!

I like this site, however, I'm into biblical coins and not finding much here when I search.
I'll have to keep looking.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 02:48:26 am »
... The style of Herakles on the obverse is comical. ...
For a Herakles it really would be comical, but there is no Herakles on the obverse  ;).

And also among the genuine coins you have some looking a bit comical:
http://numismatics.org/collection/1944.100.81489
http://numismatics.org/collection/1944.100.81520

This is the style thing which is not so easy to judge. And it differs from coin type to coin type, some have a really large spectrum of different styles  :-\.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 01:54:53 pm »
There is quite a range in the styles and execution of these Lysimachos coins (both the drachms and tetradrachms), but those struck at the mint of Lampsakos are thought by many to represent the finest in the series, with both the deified Alexander on the obverse and the Athena on the reverse being always rendered in fine style at this mint.

Here is a genuine example of a tetradrachm of Lampsakos (Thompson 61) for comparison.
[REMOVED BY ADMIN -  DO NOT LINK TO COMMERCIAL SITES]

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 02:20:05 pm »
"but there is no Herakles on the obverse"
Correct. I blundered. I had Alexander Tets on my old mind for some reason.
Sorry about that.
PeteB

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 05:17:01 am »
Have you looked in the fake reports? I suspect not. A search for "Lysimachos" shows a double die match to this fake on page 1.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pid=17781

All coins are guaranteed for eternity