Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What for types of Fibulae did Legionairs wear?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
What for types of Fibulae did Legionairs wear?
« on: August 23, 2020, 07:17:03 am »
Hello all,

I've been encountering alot of fibulae that they 'claim' are legionary but it probably sells better if they say that. My main question is how can you tell the difference? Wouldn't civilians and soldiers wear the same types and just wear whatever type they liked?

Would really love if someone can provide me with some insight on the matter or some article!  :)

I'll included a photo of some fibulae to give an example.

Thank you and have a nice day  :angel:

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: What for types of Fibulae did Legionairs wear?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 08:39:09 pm »
Killian,

You are right to ask these questions.  The label "legionary" is often used with no reflection of reality.  It is often used in an attempt to increase the value of an item.

There is a type that is referred to as the Legionairy Fibula or the Soldier Fibula.  This is an actual type name.  It doesn't mean it was only worn by soldiers.

There are several types that were commonly used by Roman soldiers.  This is know from site finds and grave finds.  However, these were also used by civilians and have been found in women's graves and children's graves.

The common soldier types are:

1st c AD: Aucissa, Nertomarus, Augen, plus late La Tene and Aucissa derivatives.

End 1st to mid-2nd century: Kraftig Proflierte (both the Pannonian and the Black Sea families).

Mid-2nd to end 3rd century: Petkovic type 11 (aka Dacian moulded bow), Knee.

3rd to 4th century: late Knee, T-shape hinged, P-shaped cross-bow, head-knob, (horse) swastika, first onion knob cross-bow.

Late – tied foot, Viminacium-Novae (Petkovic type 37).

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity