Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Ancient Coin Forum

Ancient & Medieval coin inventory software

(1/4) > >>

Michael C7:
Can anyone recommend software for keeping track of ancient and medieval coins. Also, where can I procure such software.

Thanks!

Michael

Blayne W:
Michael

While I havent been collecting as long or have a huge collection I basically have started with my own built Excel sheet.   I did look for a program but didnt have any luck.
Within the sheet I have 4 tabs one each tracking different groups of coins.

Tab 1 is my main collection
Tab 2 are my uncleaned coins
Tab 3 is my Coins I have bought for resale ( that in itself is a joke)
Tab 4 is my Campgate Collection

Now each tab is basically laid out with this info in separate columns;
my own tracking number, obverse description (mostly id the bust of the emperor), reverse description (something simple like Shewolf) , mint, weight, max diameter, obverse inscription, reverse inscription, field marks, RIC or other identifiers, scarcity level if known, and where I got the coin from.   I have a couple other columns that I use to track if I have uploaded to the Forum Gallery and other tracking indicators.

The one nice benefit is that I can quickly sort and filter out what I want to find.
IE I quickly want to see what Hadrian coins I have I just select Hadrian under my obverse description and it will display what Hadrian coins I have (7)

I know its not the most technically savvy program though its been working for me.   If you have access to Excel I am certainly willing to email you a copy if you want to look at it and decide if it would work for you.

Good Luck.

Anaximander:
I too use Excel, but that's by necessity rather than preference.  Quite some time ago, I created a database in Access, with the incremental objective of adding coin photographs.  The database worked, but it was a bear to use, owing to the protocol for linking photographs and the resulting file size.  There are also the usual issues of getting non-modern typesets and symbols to work.  I don't want compromises! 

Wouldn't it be great if FAC could host a data table for each user?   Imagine the possibilities. 

Cheers~

Dominic T:
 This subject has been discussed in the past here, and the problem with many software is they get obsolete after a certain time and it's impossible to use them anymore. This is not a problem with programs like excel and words. Did you think about the possibility of creating a "Gallery" on FORVM ?
DT

Matthew P:
I created quite a specific and high functioning database using FileMaker

For years I used excel, and I had added pics to it using the "comments" feature, but excel is quite basic and very easy to delete things from accidently.  It also does not display well on your phone or tablet

FileMaker is fantastic - very customizable, you can add reports, search functions, sorting tabs, different layouts, statistics, photos, different field options, buttons (eg for catagorizing or quick searching)

FileMaker Pro is not cheap to purchase, but the FileMaker Go app is free (and means you can have your database on your iphone or tablet). The FileMaker platform works with PC and Mac, but not with android mobile software unfortunately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version