Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Overdue Update to My Gallery Thread  (Read 2053 times)

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
The Overdue Update to My Gallery Thread
« on: February 01, 2020, 12:22:25 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am finally creating a thread for my gallery after having technically had one for a couple years! I often find it hard to make time for uploading images, but now that all of my Forum purchases are uploaded and about three-quarters of my other major coins are there, too, it's time to at least have the thread going!

I have a few areas of focus for my collecting:

:drop2: The First, and definitely the one I blabber about the most, are Legionary denarii. I collect Antony and Septimius Severus especially, but I intend to expand into Gallienus' legionary antoninianii, Carausius' legionary coinage, provincial legionary coinage, and the non-silver Antony and Severus examples where practical. Essentially, if the coin says "LEG ___ " or refers to a Cohort or Vexillation by name or number, I am interested.

:drop2: Secondly, I enjoy Roman Republican coinage. The symbolism and iconography available is really just amazing. Roman history is what got me interested in ancient coinage. I read Roman histories (including many translated primary texts), and the Roman Republic is a fascinating time. The coinage they produced is so informative of what they experienced and is often beautifully demonstrative of the period.

:drop2: Thirdly, I still like to pick up uncleaned lots from time to time to dig around in for fun. I've actually found some half-way decent coins this way, but it's really more for entertainment than collecting, per se.

I believe I'll start by highlighting a coin from each of these three areas of my gallery (Full-Gallery Here)

:drop2: First we have a Marc Antony legionary denarius featuring Legio XI: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-159830
While not an especially rare example (my Legio IIII and XVIII Lybicae are more along those lines), I think it is a good example of what one can expect to stumble across in stores and online in this type.

:drop2: Next, we have a Roman Republic denarius of M. Sergius Silus: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-129973
Marcus Sergius Silus is a fascinating historical character and his descendent of the same name minted coins in his honor. A soldier in the Second Punic War, he escaped captivity and is one of the first known people to use a hand prosthesis. Here is he depicted riding on horseback carrying the head of a Gallic soldier. Like I said, quite the historical character. Note that this coin is also a Forvm purchase!

:drop2: Finally, I wanted to share the first surprise silver coin I found in an uncleaned lot, a denarius of Septimius Severus: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-130458
Silver from uncleaned lots is really rare, but it isn't as if this coin has any exceptional value or quality. However, it was a fun to brush away some mud after a long soak and see silver below. My gallery has many other examples of the more typical late Roman bronze finds from uncleaned lots.

I hope you will enjoy my gallery or find it useful in some way. I'll update it periodically and happily answer any questions if they come up!

Thanks!

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: The Overdue and Semiofficial Launch of My Gallery
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 12:25:42 pm »
very nice
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 02:33:30 pm »
Huzzah!  It’s Show and Tell.   +++
I admire your focus. I think you nailed it:  The ‘storylines’ for the Republican and Imperatorial coins are ever so rewarding.

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 08:34:11 pm »
Nice work!

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 10:57:09 pm »
Oh yeah!

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 11:54:39 pm »
Have fun and thanks for sharing your coins.  I noticed the Augustus [Agrippa] halved dupondius right away; a phenomenon not seen in modern times, I think.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline JamesC11

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 01:06:34 am »
Awwwk!  "Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"  Awwwk!  (Cap'n Flint--parrot--as quoted by Robert Louis Stevenson).

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 12:31:08 pm »
TenthGen,

I'm glad that you finally got around to highlighting your gallery. I look forward to perusing it.

Tracy

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 01:04:42 am »
Thanks everyone for your kind comments! I look forward to adding more coins to it for years to come!

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 06:48:58 pm »
You’ve now got me diving into a sea of galleys...  so many more varieties than I knew of. The Antony legionary galleys were the first to sail, and to land in my collection, and today I see the Hadrian flavor in Quadran’s gallery.

See his new addition at...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=76992.msg733526#msg733526

Anaximander

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
Re: The Overdue Updates to My Collection
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2022, 01:34:37 am »
Hi everyone, somehow it has been two years since I launched my gallery thread. I had intended to update it more frequently, but the past two years have been quite busy. Fortunately, I have managed to continue collecting. I wanted to showcase the pride of my collection - my various legionary series. I primarily collect Antony legionaries, but I'm including a few related friends.

Below, you'll see my trays arrayed to include missing spots for the Antony legionaries I don't yet have. Note that LEG PRI is deliberately left off - I still hold that those are very unlikely to be authentic. For the other legionary series I'm just including labels for the ones I have. You might need to click the photos attached below (and log in) to see them full resolution.

I am of course always on the look out for members of this series at a price I can afford. I'm also hoping to upgrade my Leg II, which I must admit is obscured enough that I can only tentatively agree with the attribution to Leg II it came as. My most recent additions are the Speculatores piece and Leg V.

Also, if this piques your interest, then you'll really love the Antony Legionary discussion thread in the advanced collecting sub forum here. The rarity of each type is heavily discussed, and I have my own aggregated hoard data figures that I use as a reference a few pages into the thread.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=70907.0

Thanks for visiting!

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
Re: The Overdue Update to My Gallery Thread
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2022, 01:35:49 am »
Obverses for reference!  I'm going to try to upload individual photos of the ones I don't already have in my gallery sometime in the next few weeks (we'll see!).

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2022, 08:26:25 am »
Great coins

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2022, 01:07:37 pm »
The labeling of these trays (not-virtual-but-actual-coin-trays) is ingenious. The trays showcase the collection of legionary denarii, and also serve as a type list and want list.

I’m not as deep into these waters (sorry) as TenthGen, but I do collect and favor them. As to rarity, Speculatores must be on another level altogether.

I am going to have to spend some time in the weeds to see the Anthony legionary discussions. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2022, 09:05:00 pm »
I like that you included the severan legionary denarii as well.  I collect those myself, and in my experience, decent ones are actually tougher to locate than the Mark Antony issues.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity