Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sad News  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Schatz

• Consul
Sad News
« on: February 26, 2019, 09:25:38 am »

Perhaps most collectors and lovers of Elymaean coins have already heard, but to me a mail from Chris Hopkins on his Parthia-L list service was news:  He informed the list members that on December 8, 2018,  Pieter Anne van't Haaff passed away at the age of 90.  He was the author of 'Catalogue of Elymaean Coinage', Classical Numismatic Group, Inc., Lancaster, PA, 2007, the latest and most important reference book on that coinage that critically reflected current numismatic research on the topic.  Chris Hopkins refers to an obituary by Jan Lingen in Oriental Numismatic Society.

Schatz

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Sad News
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 09:29:05 am »
Condolences

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:24:41 am »
May he rest in peace.

One of my earliest purchases was a small Elymaean bronze which I still have (and love).  I post it here in memory of Pieter Anne van't Haaff:

ELYMAIS: Kamnaskires-Orodes
AE Drachm, 3.88g, Kamnaskires-Orodes, 2nd Century AD, Obv: Crowned bust facing with various symbols about field. Rev: Series of dashes, aXF. V.H. 12.3, subtype 1-1B

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 01:12:11 pm »
Very sad news,

Condolences,

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 08:14:57 pm »
Thanks for posting this, Schatz. I had heard the sad news a couple weeks back from Stkp. Anne was a kind man and a remarkable numismatist, and a big influence on my collecting habits - through both his book on Elymaeans and through occasional email correspondence.

Some time back he had mentioned to me that he had been working with Scott VanHorn of CNG on a catalog of the coinage of Persis. Although it sounded as if the project was almost completed, I don't know the status of the publication. I do hope it comes about. It would be a nice addition to his legacy.

Here's his bio from the Catalogue of Elymaean Coinage:

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 09:27:14 am »
Being new to the field of Elymaean coinage, I never had the pleasure of interacting directly with him, although he did comment on one of my coins via RobertL3, who contacted him directly. I was saddened by the news, just as I am every time that I learn that a rock star that I once revered has died. I could/would not have ventured into the field of Elymaean coinage but for his excellent book, and imagine that numismatists will remain in his debt for generations. Thank you, Pieter Anne van't Haaff, for your contributions to numismatic scholarship and to our enjoyment of our hobby. Stkp

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 10:03:38 pm »
Wanted to add a bit more info. Prompted by this thread (thanks for posting it, Schatz), I wrote to Scott VanHorn to inquire about the status of the book about Persid coins that Anne had mentioned he had been working on with him. Scott wrote back today saying, "My goal was to have the publication ready for printing later this spring, if all goes well. I will keep you updated."

I am delighted that we may have another opportunity to be the beneficiaries of Pieter Anne van't Haaff's research, in this case a collaborative effort with Mr. VanHorn.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity