Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Great Book  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Jiminey

• Praetorian
Great Book
« on: January 15, 2019, 01:09:36 pm »
With my renewed interest in ancient coins, my wife got me a book for Christmas that I think would be great for anyone new to the hobby.

Ancient Selfies by Clinton Richardson.

My interest has been mostly Roman Imperial coins, with a very little knowledge of Roman Republic and other older coins. This book was a nice summary of the different nations/cultures/rulers from the first coins  <500 BC through to Julius Caesar and the Imperators. It feels like the authors personal collection of coins that he gives a brief history of each. Along with the history, he also gives the provenance of each coin. If I counted correctly, 11 of the coins were purchased right here at Forvm Ancient Coins!

Anyone new to the hobby looking for a book, this is one I would highly recommend!

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Re: Great Book
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 09:40:02 pm »
I agree with your recommendation. I have a copy and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like the way the author chooses a coin and then supplies a picture and description. In the description the author also gives the historical significance of the coin.

This book is a really interesting introduction to the world of ancient coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity