Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Modified Carausius Antoninianus?  (Read 572 times)

Offline Harry G

• Consul
Modified Carausius Antoninianus?
« on: November 08, 2018, 03:59:12 pm »
Whilst browsing eBay, I came across this seller who was selling large quantities of Carausius coins - all 'metal detecting finds'. They have more than 300 sales to date. However, amongst the coins on offer were these two. The first one (to my knowledge) reads 'IOVI CONS AVG' (or something similar - please correct me if I'm wrong) and the second one is looks like another 'IOVI CONS AVG' coin. These are real coins normally, but the first one appears only to have one figure on the reverse and the second on has two, but one much lower down, kneeling and grasping the emperor's hands. To my knowledge, I know of no coin like this that exists. However, the style of the coins looks a bit 'crude' and could be a later overstrike - i.e. much earlier (overstruck on another emperors coin in ancient times) or a later reproduction or a later overstriking to fool collectors. Does anybody have any ideas? I apologize if I'm wrong and they are completely genuine - that is why I haven't included the seller's information. The seller doesn't list the weight or diameter.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!  ;D
Please check out my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6793

Have a nice day!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Modified Carausius Antoninianus?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 04:48:41 pm »
Second coin looks to me like SALVS AVG, and shows Salus holding patera above a snake-entwined alter.  It is not two figures, unless you count the snake.   ;)  I see nothing suspicious about the coins.  Surfaces were encrusted and probably cleaned to some degree.  I assume you are not screening these for possible purchase, but I'll mention that FORVM Ancient coins has a large selection of Carausius' coins, with an authenticity guaranty.

Offline Harry G

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 12:17:08 pm »
Hi @Carausius thanks for your reply!  ;D Now I can see the snake and it's obviously not IOVI CONS AVG as I thought. Just to say that I wansn't planning to buy the coins, and only wanted to know if a) there is an unlisted Carausius type like that and b) if the seller needed a NFSL report, so thanks!
Please check out my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6793

Have a nice day!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 07:22:08 pm »
FORVM has a very large selection of coins of Carausius, almost all from the Charles Peters Carausius Collection.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=754

Prior to receiving this collection, we usually had only one or two coins of Carausius listed and often we had none. This is an excellent opportunity to acquire some very rare and interesting coins. Some of the coins are at bargain prices right now.

The NumisWiki Carausius page was designed in part to help me identify and date coins of Carausius. Hopefully our members also find it useful. Click Carausius.

NumisWiki also has numerous other pages related to Carausius, including online references and hoards listing many varieties not in RIC.

ERIC - CARAUSIUS
Webb Carausius
Akerman
Beaujard-Huvelin
Bicester
Bourne Carausius
Burton Latimer
King Unmarked
Linchmere
Lyne
Lyne Two

The Members' Gallery also includes Mauseus' Carausius Gallery.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity