Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordian medallion  (Read 6966 times)

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
  • Virtuti melius fortunae creditur - Syrus, Maxims
    • My coins in Forums Gallery
Gordian medallion
« on: August 06, 2002, 08:04:24 am »
What is the difference between "Medallion" and coin (aside from the obvious size and weight)?
Were medallions "coin of the realm" ? or just special commemorative medals?

Where can I find more info on these types of "coin"

As Always, thanks in advance for any help  ;D

Jimwho523
Facilis descensus Averno; sed ad auras evadere est labor! (The Road to hell is a easy one, it is the journey back that is diffulcult!)

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Gordian medallion
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 08:29:13 am »
I know some medals were worth multiples of a particular denomination. For example, a medal like this one of Gordian may have been issued for a special occasion and  was worth, say, 2-3 sestertii.:) Im not an expert however.
                        LordBest. 8)

sejanus

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2002, 09:26:45 am »
Medals were issued for special events and other important public "happenings" - kind of like today.  They are VERY VERY VERY RARE; and even more expensive! :o

Another example of the multiple denominational thingy are the gold 2-5 solidii medallions of the late empire.

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2002, 04:57:16 pm »
To my seem is an ugly reproduction of barbaric mint of the medallion cataloged to the n. 287 of the Cohen. (Vol.V)
The medallion from the Cohen is of form 11 that is 36 mm with beads of the contour to mm 33.
Besides the details of the original mintage have a perfection not riscontrable in this in sale.
Have it wanted reproduce with more metal carries me to doubt his authenticity.

The medallions are measured always with the staircase of Mionnet. Useful is see this figure.

Ser
http://www.i-numis.com/rome/books/cohen/vol_ii/p447.html

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
  • Virtuti melius fortunae creditur - Syrus, Maxims
    • My coins in Forums Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 07:48:51 am »
Thanks All

Now I know what a fake patina looks like, the proper dimensions for medallions, and a little more on what medallions were and why they were issued.

Until I can save up enough for the Reference books I obviously need (and even after I get them) , you guys are the best!!

I Still don't know if these were money or commemorative collectables like the non-currency mint offerings of today?
Facilis descensus Averno; sed ad auras evadere est labor! (The Road to hell is a easy one, it is the journey back that is diffulcult!)

sejanus

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2002, 09:57:04 am »
I am not sure they were used as money - but I may be wrong.  Medallions were used as propaganda - the excploit a victory or a disaster which was quickly  fixed by the emperor.  They were also used to show how the emperor was divine or higher than all other men in the world.
But they were also used as gaming tokens (or at least contorniates were) and commemorative pieces for festivals or games (chariot racing, gladiatorial bouts, etc.).

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2002, 10:08:01 am »
In the 17th-19th centuries, the golden age of medals (;)) precious metal medals were could generally be swapped for currency. They were handed out at special occasions, ex. THe coronation of Napoleon. They were worth their equivalent weight on gold. Bronze medals were more propagander-ish, as by this stage bronze wasnt really worth a thing. I dont know about the ancients, but I have always assumed most ancient medallions were multiples of the everyday denominations like sestertii or aes's.:) THe multiple solidii of the 4th century were basically medallions isued on special occasions.
                         LordBest. 8)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity