Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severus II radiates - were they silvered?  (Read 639 times)

Offline Truebr1t

• Legionary
  • Truebr1t
Severus II radiates - were they silvered?
« on: September 27, 2017, 04:07:49 am »
Does anyone know if Severus II radiates were originally silvered?  The argentei are rare and the silvered folles are a bit large for my purpose.  If someone has a silvered radiate to show me that would be even better.  I am aware that a top condition radiate will still be expensive. Thanks.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: Severus II radiates - were they silvered?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 11:50:46 am »
Post-reform radiates, as they are called, were of base metal and not silvered. As far as I am aware, anyway.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Truebr1t

• Legionary
  • Truebr1t
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 03:23:02 pm »
Thanks very much for coming back to me. It will have to be a follis then as it's easier to get silver of Severus III than Severus II.  Most argentei that I have seen have been in EF and I heard they were from a hoard.  I appreciate your help.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 10:30:17 pm »
Hi True,

I have a Severus II Follis (scroll down, third coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_galerius_maxentius.htm

My example has a laureate bust.

Meepzorp

Offline Truebr1t

• Legionary
  • Truebr1t
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 01:16:02 pm »
It;s a scarce coin and thanks for letting me see it.  I have a similar one from Antioch with Genius on the reverse. GENIO POPVLI ROMANI in exergue ANT  Some slight blundering in the legend to fit it in but I'm sure it's official.  If you wan to see it let me know.  What I will need in the absence of an afforrdable silver coin is a top condition silvered follis and they don't come cheap in that condition.  ATB.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity