Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallienus coin of the day  (Read 1172 times)

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
Gallienus coin of the day
« on: September 14, 2017, 03:35:40 am »
A big crude Gallienus.

CARIA, Antiochia ad Maeandrum. Gallienus. AD 253-268. Æ (36mm, 14.97 g, 12h). Radiate, helmeted, and cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield / Bridge spanning the Maeandrus river, with gateway surmounted by stork on left; to right, river-god Maeandrus reclining left, holding reed and cornucopia, and male figure standing left, holding walking stick(?). SNG München 92 var. (obv. legend, no figure to right of Maeandrus); SNG von Aulock 2431 var. (rev. signed by magistrate); McClean 8450 var. (no figure to right of Maeandrus); SNG Copenhagen –; Künker 288, lot 819. VF, earthen green patina, irregular flan. Rare variant.

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
Re: Gallienus coin of the day
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 11:35:03 am »
Very cool coin! allmost like a medieval tapestry.  :)

Cheers Kim

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 11:55:22 am »
Hi,

I love this type and your example is infinitely better than my worn example. Congratulations.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 03:13:26 pm »
Great coin  +++ +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 03:12:01 am »
 :afro:

very cool coin (congrats)

Offline Thilo

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 12:47:51 pm »
Dear ecoli,

wonderful coin!

As your coin is in such strong condition: You may be aware that Johannes Nollé, Beiträge zur kleinasiatischen Münzkunde und Geschichte 6-9, in: Gephyra 6 (2009), pg.7-99 (zum Monument von Selge und zur Brücke von Antiochia ad M.), pg. 44-47, argues that what we see immediately below the arches of the bridge are actually phalloi which represent the virility of the river Maiandros. As he bases his argument on a rather more worn example (https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=688923), would you agree with his theory based on your coin?

Kind regards

Thilo

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 03:18:56 am »
Very cool!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity