Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AIII: Babylon  (Read 2283 times)

vesontio

AIII: Babylon
« on: June 25, 2004, 03:04:03 am »
Hello, folks,

I would appreciate your comments on this tetra of AIII, seemingly to be
of Babylon mint, lifetime issue. The obverse is of no apparent interest.
For the reverse - what is the meaning  of the monograph under the throne? What  is the object (or character) in the left field?

ember

Re:AIII: Babylon
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 02:23:11 am »
Hi,

I believe your coin to be Price 3667 from Babylon, which makes the symbol in the left field an 'acrostolion'.  I really can't help you with monogram below the throne except to tell you  it is a symbol above an 'M'.

Darcy

PS According to David Sear's GCV an acrostolion is the gunwale of a ship.

vesontio

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 03:33:47 am »
Thank you! It is a great news (I was rather upset that nobody could say a word).

In Latin: acrostolium is the decorative part of the bow of a  warship, often removed from a defeated enemy vessel and displayed as a trophy.

The monograph below is enigmatic:  for me, it resembles a 3-dimensional impossible object.

ember

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 03:48:26 am »
Hi,

Sometimes the monograph is a combination of stylised Greek letters.  I don't have the expertise to decipher things like that.  Sorry for taking so long in answering your post.  I work shift-work and sometimes thinking is the last thing I want to do.  ::)

starbits

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 02:29:25 am »
<Sometimes the monograph is a combination of stylised Greek letters.>

The monogram above the M appears to be 3 letters superimposed, an  H  with a F down the middle and a L at the bottom middle.

I had always thought the object in the left field was a torch.

Eric

vesontio

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 07:14:14 am »
Thank you! Is it a conventional interpretation? Lambda, in fact, is the second letter
in Alexadrou and it looks a bit different.  

All coins are guaranteed for eternity