Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Did Alexander IV have issued coins?  (Read 1579 times)

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
Did Alexander IV have issued coins?
« on: July 23, 2004, 12:56:44 am »
Understand this has come up before but I am interested in peoples thoughts on this.

In my mind, given that Philip III had tets issued - which were different in style to Philip II so definately related to him - how could the 'joint ruler' Alexander IV not have? Fair enough they would just use the existing King (or even plain Alexander) dies - why change them?

I feel that his grandmother Olympius was too strong minded (given her alleged murder of Philip III later and probable implication in murder of Philip II much earlier) not to force the issue with Antipater and others if at all it was an issue.

So if this theory has any credence could I suggest that coins struck post Alex III death anywhere in empire from say 320BC until death in 311BC would have been new dies (as old ones wear in 2-3 years?) would DEF have to have a chance of being specifically related to Alexander IV? To be safe maybe 317-311BC?

Maybe worth knowing where Alex IV and Grandmother spent their time post fathers death in Babylon - given my wearing die argument their location from say 320BC onwards would have certainly influenced the local die artists if we cannot say all mints.

I do accept that Alex coins continued to be minted for many, many years and that these were surely in honour of Alex III however that doesnt change the issues as above betwen 323 and 311BC.

Welcome comments especially from Darcy!

Alex
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

ember

Re:Did Alexander IV have issued coins?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 01:54:38 am »
Hi Alex,

Hyla Troxell wrote that Price 108-121 from Macedonia were minted for Aleaxander IV, and not his father.  Reid Goldsborough wrote a very interesting article concerning the attribution of Alexander tets for the Celator.  You can read it at www.ancients.info.

Darcy

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
Re:Did Alexander IV have issued coins?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 05:26:58 am »
How about this Price 109? Looks like just the perfect example of I am talking about.

;)

Whats the chances of the 'of King' being added to an old die - seems, maybe slightly different engraver to 'Alesandou'?? Certainly done after Zeus to fit in available space. I have seen it rarely written at left side instead of right/bottom.

Also, look at the older un-backed chair and open legged posture.

I am a believer.

http://www.ancients.info/modules.php?s=5e869c00ef6270332b98f0dc728611a6&name=Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=24
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

All coins are guaranteed for eternity