Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pyrrhos  (Read 1699 times)

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
Pyrrhos
« on: July 08, 2004, 02:27:22 am »
I am not familiar with Bronze coins - should this one be silvered like this?
How much for it?

It is a Pyrrhos coin 24mm issued 278-276 probably in Syracuse or at least Italy.

Thanks

'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

vic9128

Re:Pyrrhos
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 07:02:49 am »
What you think is silvering is just the sheen from the patina.

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 10:48:46 am »
So this is just the lighting?

They are asking USD1000 for this - is it that rare?

Appreciate honest help here! Been buying alot lately which is why I am so prolific on all subjects Greek.

Need a Prryhus for my collection - suspect I am a buyer that all love........

Rgds
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 12:22:45 pm »
Alex,

this coin is listed R3 in my copy of Montenegro "Monete di Italia antica e Magna Grecia"; approximate value 700 $US in VF (1996).

Found also this on Coinarchives (perhaps with a different symbol behind Phthia's head).

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Estimate 950 CHF, realized price 760 CHF (2003).

Regards
Luigi

I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

AncientCoins

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 05:30:46 pm »
wow,amazing coin...and theyre asking that much money for it...it must be pretty rare...

andrew

All coins are guaranteed for eternity