Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Set of Ancient Coins. Help Appreciated.  (Read 951 times)

Offline Eli S

• Legionary
Set of Ancient Coins. Help Appreciated.
« on: December 16, 2015, 04:31:18 pm »
These were acquired sometime in early 90s. Found in an old estate. Know anything about this set? Is it some commemorative set?

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Set of Ancient Coins. Help Appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 04:34:20 pm »
They're all fakes, sorry.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Eli S

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 04:37:13 pm »
Oh I am well aware these are not genuine just trying to find out who made this set. It is just as it was over 25 years ago.

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 09:14:09 pm »
Most of them seem to be modern replicas of biblically-relevant coins.

From left to right:

1. Caponius - a Roman procurator of Judea around ~8 AD. Text near it calls it a Widow's Mite, which is referred to in one of Jesus's parables.
2. Pontius Pilate - Roman governor of Judea from 26-36 AD who supposedly tried to avoid putting Jesus to death.
3. Herod Antipas - Tetrarch of Galilee; involved in the death of John the Baptist.
4. Tiberius - 2nd Roman Emperor. Roman Denarii under Tiberius are candidates for being the Tribute Penny referred to by Jesus when he said to "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's".
5. Herod the Great - Famous Herod - Roman client king of Judea. Built the 2nd Temple in Jerusalem. Supposedly interacted with the wisemen and tried to kill all the kids in Judea in an attempt to kill a young Jesus.
6. The shekel this coin represents is supposedly one of the types of pieces of silver given to Judas to betray Jesus.
7. Sestertius of Emperor Vespasian. Vespasian and his son Titus led campaigns to crush a Jewish rebellion in the first century AD. This coin commemorates their eventual victory - Iudea Capta is translated to Judea Conquered. Fun fact: The 2nd temple built by Herod was destroyed during this campaign.

So, what we have here is a batch of commemorative (fake) coins modeled after coins relevant to Biblical texts. It's probably not a coincidence that there are 7 of them either. It seems like a souvenir that might be sold in Jerusalem or elsewhere with the intention of attracting religious buyers. It may or may not have been passed off as genuine.

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:32:36 am »
I had one of these sets as well.  I believe they were made for Sunday schools in the 50's, at least that's what I remember hearing about them. I've since donated mine to my place of worship.

See mine here:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-31301

Offline Eli S

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 03:50:47 pm »
Very cool. I learned something today. Appreciate the help.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity