Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman to ID  (Read 908 times)

Nero 30

Roman to ID
« on: April 04, 2015, 10:36:36 am »
I think this one is Roman but it is giving me hard time on the obverse is a caesars bust and on the reverse what seems to be Zeus bust or another god!!!! I think its provincial Please help im so grateful to all for your time and efforts the coin max. Diam is :17 mm.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Roman to ID
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:52:00 am »
If it's a modius on the god's head then it is Serapis.

Best regards

Nero 30

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 01:46:44 pm »
Thanks Jochen, any other ideas any one ??? The bust looks like  which emperor? Im clueless????

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 04:28:59 pm »
Antoninus Pius? You could look in RPC online for coins of him, with a head of Zeus (or Serapis) on the reverse:

http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/info/present
Andreas Reich

Nero 30

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:50:13 am »
Thanks Andreas, My initial thoughts were as of Antoninus pius but I was not sure, now after checking on Wildwinds I think that there might be some possible matches.
my best regards.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity